Offline wsamh

wine?
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
How do I get apps running with wine?

Offline tinypoodle

Re: wine?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

And please post subjects regarding extensions to TCE subforum.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline wsamh

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »
Sorry for not being clear. I was just having trouble running apps with wine in general. I got it figured out, buit I have a couple questions.

1) Is there anyway to running winecfg and uninstall without having to open it through the terminal or did something go wrong when I try to install.

2) How do I associate all .exe file to run with wine. Cause that was the main issue that I was having?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »
Associate with what?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline wsamh

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
to associate it with wine. It would not open automatically and I did not know how to find  the appliactions to run the .exe file using the file manager. I had to install PcFanfm to do it. I'm a newbie with tinycore, I just heard about this OS and I'm been a ubuntu user for a while. So I'm not use to having to do everthing from scratch. It is a nice OS. loving it already. Just takes some gettting use to .  ;D 

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »
1) Well, you can always create your own icons and links to e.g. winecfg by adding stuff to /usr/local/share/applications/ and accordingly /usr/local/share/pixmaps/. The reason I didn't include winecfg as an icon in wbar was, that I don't consider it as an "essential" program and as a must-have for wbar. Most people don't need an icon there for winecfg every time wine is loaded.

2) "Association" of .exe files to let them automatically open with wine needs some program or file manager to manage and interpret this association - fluff and dirwin do that AFAIK and now you found out: pcmanfm too. :)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline wsamh

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
I did not get any icons in the bar even though I do have it listed in the 'onboot'. What icons am I supposed to get?

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
what icons did you expect? I wrote that I intentionally left them out. wine itself is useless for an icon as it always needs an argument. winecfg is maybe called once in a lifetime of your .wine installation. should I create an icon for notepad? ;-)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline wsamh

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
Oh. I thought you meant you only left out winecfg. I did not know you left them all out. Well, I usually use the uninstall feature a lot cause I'm always testing out which software works. Now I know that I have to learn the wine commands.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
IIRC, there is some GUI wine app similar to win 3.x program manager.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
winefile
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.