WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: updates that may break extensions  (Read 3105 times)

Offline robc

updates that may break extensions
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
I have updated libxcb-util and libstartup-notification.  There is a chance that these updates will break others that depend on them.  These updates have already been submitted to the repo with a note that they may break others.  If any of your extensions depend on these, then please test their functionality to determine if a rebuild if required.

Jason W/gutmensch, perhaps it would be worth it to give access to these extensions before overwriting the current version? That way there is time to verify which others require a rebuild.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: updates that may break extensions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
I personally agree that preventing any breakage in the repo by testing first is better than finding and fixing after the fact.

I just ran a check on based on the ldd output of existing extensions for those which may be affected by this update, as there is a different file set than before in libxcb-util.tcz.  There is possible more breakage, but these will not be satisfied based on library dependency, and thus are most likely broken:

Code: [Select]
Thunar.tcz
blueman-2.6.tcz
blueman-2.7.tcz
cheese.tcz
compiz-gtk-window-decorator.tcz
compiz-plugins-extra.tcz
compiz-plugins-main.tcz
compiz.tcz
compizconfig-backend-gconf.tcz
compizconfig-python.tcz
emerald.tcz
eog.tcz
evolution.tcz
gnome-control-center.tcz
gnome-panel.tcz
gnome-power-manager.tcz
gnome-python-extras.tcz
gnome-settings-daemon.tcz
gnome-system-monitor.tcz
i3.tcz
libgnome-desktop.tcz
libpulseaudio.tcz
libstartup-notification.tcz
libwnck.tcz
libxcb-util.tcz
libxfce4ui.tcz
libxfcegui4.tcz
mousepad.tcz
nautilus-open-terminal.tcz
nautilus.tcz
netsurf.tcz
notification-daemon.tcz
openbox.tcz
parole.tcz
pulseaudio.tcz
thunar-vfs.tcz
vlc.tcz
xfce4-cpufreq-plugin.tcz
xfce4-panel.tcz
xfce4-screenshooter.tcz
xfce4-weather-plugin.tcz
xfdesktop.tcz
xfwm4.tcz
xine-lib.tcz
yelp.tcz

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:43:09 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 04:45:03 PM »
My vote is for a reinstating of the previous libxcb-util.tcz until a coordinated update can be done to prevent a broken repo.

I don't see a file list change for libstartup-notification, so if at least from that angle there is no easy way to check for breakage.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:47:59 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Ok, I read the new libstartup-notification depends on the xcb-util update, so perhaps it should be reverted too.

In fact, I will go ahead and do this to prevent a broken repo, and a solution then can be duscussed.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
We will think of a way to provide testing access for extension updates that break things in the current repo, that will allow folks whose extensions will be affected to rebuild them with the new package.

Since it is relatively late in the 3.x life cycle, I would recommend that the libxcb-util/libstartupnotification updates wait until the 4.x repo.   But I am ok if the affected extension makers would like to see a coordinated rebuild the above packages with the updated libxcb-util/libstartupnotification, just let me know and we will go from there.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
I do not have time to test and rebuild packages just because of a broken library in the chain. Do not cure the result, fix the root cause. Aka keep versions compatible with the repo even if they are not the latest and working. Just look at RedHat repo :)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."