WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Let's dance, TC  (Read 2811 times)

Offline alu

Let's dance, TC
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »
here a how-to in order to install TC on your cowon iaudio7 mp3-player/video-viewer which should work with other similar players. A convention:

- sda: is used to name the cowon device in this how-to; it can be different in your computer (do: sudo fdisk -l in order to select the proper device)

1. format cowon: you need to backup the files on your cowon, and format the cowon in order to boot on it; i did it with fat to be able to syslinux the cowon:

sudo mkfs.vfat -I /dev/sda; -I is needed in order to reformat the entire player, unless mkfs.vfat won't do it; in doing this, you won't loose the little system application of your cowon, it remains there as well as the folders' tree of the player; also, save/copy somewhere the content of the "system" folder on the cowon, and copy it back at the end of the process in order not to have to readjuste time, date and other preferences...

2. copy the following files&folders from TC at the bottom/the root of the cowon:

$ sudo mount -o loop /path/of/the/TC/iso /mnt/Tciso
$ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt/yourcowon
$ sudo cp -R /mnt/Tciso/* /mnt/yourcowon

3. syslinux your cowon:

$ sudo umount /dev/sda
$ sudo syslinux -s -f /dev/sda

4. reboot with your cowon plugged in the computer:

a. the cowon will be recognized as a usb fdd; turn on this option in your bios;
b. the cowon takes its time in order to load once plugged in the computer; you probably have to boot the computer, and to reboot it after a few second (ctrl+alt+DEL) in order to see the cowon device (typically with F12, or Esc, or F8); choose the cowon device;
c. at the TC prompt, you probably have to write the boot option "waitusb=5" (or higher if needed)

And your are good to go. Please, be patient, the cowon is very slow (at least mine), so the boot time will be longer than usual. You can put your tce/z extensions on the cowon (at the bottom/root of the cowon), they will be loaded at boot. As well, you can put your backup at the bottom/root of the cowon in order to restore your preferences. In order to backup your data onto the cowon, write sda in your /opt/.backup_device. Useful? I don't know, probably not, but certainly fun.