WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: conceptual bug  (Read 5848 times)

Offline sousmarin

conceptual bug
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
I have a laptop with the e100 eth0 driver.  The driver is in your firmware extension.  So I need to either remaster or put the extension on a usb stick.  BUT I can't get the extension without the app browser which I can't get without the eth0 firmware which I can't get without the app browser which I can't get without the eth0 firmware which I can't get without the app browser which I can't get without the eth0 firmware which I can't get without the app browser which I can't get without the eth0 firmware which I can't get without the app browser which I can't get without the eth0 firmware which I can't get ... or am I missing something.  Maybe all the ethernet frimware should be in the core?

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: conceptual bug
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
It is a good point and has been considered. In total all the ethernet firmware is about 600k (can't remember if that was before compression or not, been a while since then), so it's not a trivial increase though.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sousmarin

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
Here's a better idea:

Whoever manages the download page should create a tce dir and put ALL the firmware packages in the onboot and all their names in the onboot.lst.  Then tarball it up and put it on the download page.  That way they are available for easy install and no one has to increase the iso size.  A shell script would make this trivial and new users won't have to figure out a workaround.

[later]  After playing with tinycore all day, frugal installs on both laptops, eth on both and wireless at boot on one, I think I would really like to see tce dir tarballs for eth and wireless on the download page.  All the firmware for each with install scripts that build the onboot.lst from what is in the onboot dir.  This would save people a lot of work.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:34:36 PM by sousmarin »

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »
third version of tinycore?
microcore is basic
tinycore with light interface
bigcore for compatibility with a minimal selection of packages over tinycore similar to svolli's edition (ntfs, syslinux, firmware, wireless...), only a edit without "core" developing
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:26:26 PM by vinnie »

Offline sousmarin

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
microcore is basic
tinycore with light interface
bigcore for compatibility ...

I wouldn't want to see more than the basic two isos.  If tinycore can keep those two on track, that's a big enough accomplishment in the floating world of linux.

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:17:18 PM »
You can download extensions manually.

Include dep files and dependencies, and dependencies of dependencies.

You can put them in On Boot using Apps Audit.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »
An idea for the future

What could be introduced is the option for users to add applications to Tiny Core, and download an iso containing Tiny Core with applications.

This can be done with Slax. It could be introduced in Tiny Core.

Since different users have different applications that they want included, this should satisfy everybody.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:57:46 PM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »
have a laptop with the e100 eth0 driver.  The driver is in your firmware extension.  So I need to either remaster or put the extension on a usb stick.  BUT I can't get the extension without the app browser...
Your assertion fails at the beginning of the second sentence. There is nothing preventing you from using any web browser, or cli tool to fetch extensions from the web page hosting the repository using the same method you did for Tiny Core itself.

Your second idea, of tarballs and scripts, would then make this topic thread invalid as it has to do with extensions and not the base.

Regarding Windows NTFS, ntfs-3g.tcz is a trivial single file download and any standard means to download does indeed work. It would only need to be in the base if one demands to host all of Tiny Core on NTFS.

The idea of offering a turnkey system is not very practical by the base design of Tiny Core. Recall the base initial ram disk, e.g., tinycore.gz is loaded entirely into ram. Having every ethernet, wireless, firmware can become quite expensive in terms of ram usage for those not wanting or even needing wireless, firmware, and Windows specific drivers. And even expensive for those who have such, as you typically have only one wifi and therefore no need for a myriad of other files taking up ram.

Even installing Tiny Core is typically, a one time event. Why should the base, e.g., dedicated ram wasted for one time or rarely used events. Hint. I have been looking into this very area.

The design of Tiny Core is not a "conceptual bug" it is by design. Many before you get it.
Trying to make Tiny Core like the hundreds of other distros is not in the works. Providing the bare minimum is.

I am not totally dismissing you. Tiny Core's 10.6MB packs many attributes. Extension offering, packaging, and documentation is where this should be handled.

I am also not against the efforts of "The Full Core" for those that wish to choose such.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:06:11 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 03:11:40 PM »
FYI. I have split off and moved posts regarding "The Full Core" to its topic area.
It is off topic to discuss remasters in this topic area. Your cooperation in this regard will be greatly appreciated,
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.