WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wbar over microcore 3.6  (Read 4589 times)

Offline nick65go

wbar over microcore 3.6
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »
I used instructions from wiki to "upgrade" fom microcore 3.6 to tinycore 3.6; all is OK for both 32 and 64 bit final versions, with Xbfbdev replacing Xvesa for 64 bits, except installing wbar.tcz;

The bug is: from microcore (laod only Xlibs Xprogs flwm), after install wbar.twz, from Control panel the button Wbar_Config open an partialy usable window, because in left panel Wbar_Icons are NOT any items;
This also prevent the wbar to show on desktop -> nothing to show; chicken and egg problem;

After killing the X server by ctrl+alt+back, now into real terminal, I try various wbar* commnads and I saw the warning messages about missing the text file /usr/local/tce.icons; this file is present in TC not in MC;

Without this file, after I reboot, the MC stop in text mode, I think "hsetroot" crash at the X start;
I have to take out the wbar.tcz from onboot.lst as anyway the command could be activated from Ondemand and WM system tools menus;

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: wbar over microcore 3.6
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
That is why there were actually better as .gzs and not tczs, as that ensured that they had a higher priority in loading and at boot time.  To achieve that same effect load these "Tiny Core" essentials first. That is move to the top of your onboot.lst.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
I'm not really sure whether this is a bug: The '/usr/local/tce.icons' files gets initially created as a copy of '/usr/share/wbar/dot.wbar' via the '/usr/bin/wbar_setup.sh' script (both included in 'wbar.tcz'). This setup script itself gets called by '/usr/bin/startx'.

So, if the X server is already running when 'wbar.tcz' gets installed it is clear that the '/usr/local/tce.icons' file will be MIA. Therefore one could either execute 'wbar_setup.sh' on its own or restart the X server.

OTOH it might be worth to add [ -e /usr/local/tce.icons ] || wbar_setup.sh into the 'wbar.tcz' startup script.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »
Added tce.icons test  to startup script as per suggestion.
wbar.tcz reposted to repository.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
Added tce.icons test  to startup script as per suggestion.
wbar.tcz reposted to repository.

Thank you; But, this was not the bug, sorry!
I fond the bug now; It is about the content of text file /usr/local/tce.icons
I have discovered that when even a single image file is missing from where it is refered in tce.icons then the ALL wbar will not show up;
You can test this in TC 3.6, by temporary renaming for example the file /usr/share/pixmaps/disk.png as /usr/share/pixmaps/disk2.png; Then kill the Xvesa server and startx again; No joy as wbar is missing!

The solution: someone to provide the files /usr/share/pixmaps/disk.png and /usr/share/pixmaps/editor.png, or to remove them from /usr/local/tce.icons inside wbar.tcz

PS: Another fast method to test the bug is to rename (for example) /usr/share/pixmaps/disk.png from inside TC running, then call control panel and wbarconfig button, then play to exclude/ include the item "Mount" (witch is corespondent to disk.png), and you will see instant the efect of wbar show/miss completly;

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:00:34 PM by nick65go »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
FYI wbar is not a custom Tiny Core program. The behavior you mention is true with wbar on other Linux distributions.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
Robert

I know that wbar is an element of TC and that you are the maintainer.
First things first: I have find the way to bypass the "bug"/inconvenient, so for me is no more a problem.
I use only TC and MC, (but I have 13 partitions so Win7, Ubuntu, Arch etc can sleep here forever...)
I want only to help here, not to criticize;

To test again, I just download all files, fresh, by the book, from TC 3.6 running;
So I created a new item in menu.lst of grub with only tce=sda1 as bootcode
My sda1 partition is ext2, and had only two folders /boot/ and an empty /tce/options/
I downloaded the fresh microcore.gz and rebooted
from MC 3.6 text terminal, I downloaded, with tce-load -w, the files
Xlibs, Xprogs, Xvesa, flwm, wbar, then I run the optional xsetup.sh
Now inside pseudo TC, the wbar si missing!
But after I open control panel then wbarconfig button, eliminated the culprit items
"Editor" and "Run", and all is OK now;

So, I detailed my steps here just that anybody could reproduce the "bug";
Anyway, now is clear what text should be removed inside wbar.tcz, or later in wbarconfig
I hope it can be corrected in few seconds...

Best Regards

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Ah. Specifics always help. I have apparently posted an in process 3.7 wbar.tcz.
An oversight. Sometimes it is difficult to juggle so many pieces. When so many are in flux.

Reposted wbar.tcz