WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to create a custom microcore?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline grandma

• Never forget Grandma Loves You & made that candy4U
    • Back when a 10MB HD was $500 bucks
How to create a custom microcore?
« on: April 30, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
How does someone create a Micro Core with special modules in it? Has anyone written a step-by-step tutorial for newbies who have never compiled/created a kernel?

Thanks.

Edited to eliminate the shouting title.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:05:34 PM by roberts »
~ Luv Grandma
"When children of all nations
play in the sandbox together
all morning-all day-all week, and
one fine sunny day; all year long ...
... then war will become an ancient memory
and Grandma can knit that sweater
you'll hold near to your heart
until long after you're my age.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: HOW TO CREATE A CUSTOM MICROCORE
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
Same as you do with tinycore, except you start with microcore.gz.

It might be better if you explained what you want, as a custom initrd may not be necessary.

Offline grandma

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
What I want:

1. A step-by-step tutorial with screen shots on

a) obtaining the compiler

b) obtaining the source

c) configuring MC or TC source and any make files/processes

d) executing a compile and having a new bzImage or kernel etc. that can be tested by plugging it into the files I have on the drive

Then an example of adding / embedding / changing this with another file - i.e. similar to the method Svolli used to create the version that can be installed on a W2K NTFS system.

2. Once done this way - "hard coded" if you will, completing the same steps without embedding a change in the kernel, and walking through a tutorial - with screen shots - of linking a module or TCZ at run time so that a specific module or library loads at that time.

Example: Let's assume a call to the a wifi tool or other port would take place at boot and rather than relying on a backup, the device/PC it was on only had one task: connecting to the internet and becoming an access point with virtually no user interface. There is a routine.

Example: A device that in fact had no screen or keyboard IO. A similar "Kernel" was used to drive a PC that controlled a car stereo with buttons on the steering wheel. That kernel is likely to have far different drivers than another.

In short, modifying the MC kernel for specific tasks whether an NTFS mount, an access point or a stereo console, would either require the kernel to be changed or a different set of files to be linked to it.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:43:31 PM by grandma »
~ Luv Grandma

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
You do mean recompiling the kernel, do you? Not remastering which is covered in the wiki? (Adding ntfs support is remastering.)

Offline grandma

Re: How to create a custom microcore?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
Well Jur - actually I couldn't tell you if I mean "RECOMPILING" or "REMASTERING", or if I meant the tinycore.gz/microcore.gz or bzImage file - to be honest but good question.

So now "What I want" - a tutorial for creating each of these - from scratch - with screen shots - plus a tutorial on simply adding a tcz file or some other "module" (which I guess you mean as "remastering" - not sure).

In short, from the ground up...starting with a blank hard drive I barely got working (thanks to Tiny Core).

Here is the actual PRODUCTION WANT LIST.

1. I want to install TC on that drive - right now can only get the 300 gigabyte laptop to boot with a USB drive I made. Am using fdisk to break it up into 4 or more distinct areas and then will use GRUB to boot any one of those as its own system.

2. On one of those partitions (hda1 most likely) will be an operating system. I want that to be Tiny Core - with a GCC compiler  or equivalent so that partition can make versions I can test on the other 3 partitions.

3. That way I can test TC with various flavors of Windows (one of the partitions - which may require itself to be hda1).

4. I can install some other flavor of Linux and get TC to "drop in" and "take over" that partition as well - using Grub. This will probably have to be a different "Kernel" or "remastered" TC or MC.

5. And basically use TC/MC as a "Drop In / Take Over" utility no matter the operating system - with just a slight "tweak" most of the time to get TC/MC ready to go to work - generally with a different set of tools (i.e. changing ONBOOT.LST or some other file/parameter) to do specific jobs.

If the Svolli version, running on W2K was possible (not without its bugs), then this should be doable as well.
~ Luv Grandma

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »
Since what you need is remastering, you could maybe start by following the remastering section of the wiki and asking questions if you get stuck?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
What I want:

1. A step-by-step tutorial with screen shots on

a) obtaining the compiler

b) obtaining the source

c) configuring MC or TC source and any make files/processes

d) executing a compile and having a new bzImage or kernel etc. that can be tested by plugging it into the files I have on the drive

Some of this is explained in the extension making section of the wiki - it would be a good place to start at least.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
How does someone create a Micro Core with special modules in it? Has anyone written a step-by-step tutorial for newbies who have never compiled/created a kernel?

You could start by having a look at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter08/kernel.html