WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Downloading Extensions outside of Tiny Core?  (Read 10291 times)

Offline maro

Re: Downloading Extensions outside of Tiny Core?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
Hmmm, I don't want to stop you in your track but maybe the work has already been done:
After a short visit to google I come to the assumption that your card uses the RT2860 chip (since multiple sources are pointing towards this file). Well, as luck would have it there is a 'rt2860-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz' extension already available, plus I assume you'll need the 'rt2860.bin' file from the 'firmware.tcz' extension.

Offline Yart

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
Hey thanks. I installed everything and downloaded wicd and all the dependencies... and when I click Applications/WicdNetworkManager nothing happens.

No window. No nothing.

What now?

EDIT: Wait a minute, hold that thought. I might have done something stupid. Gimmie a minute.

EDIT: Nope. Nothing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:44:35 PM by Yart »

Offline maro

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
I'd highly recommend to use a shell to undertake any troubleshooting, as that way you are more likely to get meaningful error messages. You could use tce-load -i EXT-NAME to install an already downloaded extension. The error and warning messages that might show up would allow us to help. Because no one in this universe will be able to do so with the information from reply #16.

Furthermore it is not clear to which degree you have addressed the question of your hardware support. A "fluffy GUI" like 'wicd' still requires that the right kernel module (and potentially some firmware file) are present. I'd therefore recommend to initally ensure that these preconditions are fulfilled by moving along the lines of this troubleshooting procedure (and using the information I supplied in reply #15 to adjust to your case).