WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A very big Thank You for this beautiful distro - and here's why ....  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Harnessmaker

Today, after two whole years of  "lurking" on the forums and learning so much from you all, I'm actually using Tinycore online for the first time, and it's absolutely wonderful!

Thank you so much for this beautiful gift!

Why two years?  Well perhaps the words "dial-up only", "win modem" and "parallel port printer" will explain some of the delay.  Plus my own kindergarten level of Linux which had to be raised to about fourth grade and aims to go on growing....

The biggest hurdle, that of not being able to access the tcz repository, was overcome thanks to a post about wifi that listed the direct address of the ftp tcz download site, so a very special thank you for that post in particular.

From then it's been a project in overdrive,  using DSL and Opera 9.64 to download and study and learn.  (Faithful and well-loved DSL, but it could no longer support the new versions of Opera after their static version was discontinued, and Tinycore beckoned with so much hope and promise....)

Now, after stacks of paper, hours of downloading, and weeks of trying this that and the other, it's finally up and  running with the bzip2 version of Opera 11.01 installed in /home/tc.

Since such modest results took me so long,  I feel awe at the skill, knowledge, and time that the Tinycore developers must have given in preparing this beautiful gift for the world to share.

Now I'm back to work, with still  lots more to do .... but intending to come back in a more useful and practical state of mind later .... but just had to say this first big Thank You for your wonderful work and generosity!

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: A very big Thank You for this beautiful distro - and here's why ....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
Congrats, Harnassmaker. You are ahead of me since I keep running Opera 9.64 (in part because I like so many of its features and in part to avoid the headaches of upgrading).

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: A very big Thank You for this beautiful distro - and here's why ....
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
since I knew tinycore I never wanted to learn other distros, except for lfs which is still on the list (but has another purpose)
I used in order: debian, arch, zenwalk for enough time (but also other distros for less, even a single day, ubuntu, sabayon, dsl, puppy, knoppils and other that frankly do not remember, I also wanted to try gentoo)
I was looking for in a distro is:
-rolling release (tinycore is not properly but the update is so trivial as to be indifferent)
-minimal (choosing for example the netinstall in other distro)
-easy to administer (for example gento or arch is complex)
by coincidence, I also try installing a USB all in ram and I met jls on an Italian forum, tinycore was even more of what I asked, when I think of how much time I spent on this distro, I'm glad i did :)