WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Acer Aspire One with AMD C50 - no internet connection or audio available  (Read 43496 times)

Offline rizzim3

Just wondering if anyone can help or provide some guidance.

I recently purchased the latest Acer netbook with the AMD C50 chip and have two issues while running under TC3.5. The issues are;

1) No access to wired and wireless internet
I used ifconfig and I got a block of text for "dummy0" and another block of text for "lo". No info for atho or eth0 was returned. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the cards recognized. Perhaps an updated driver is required?

2) No sound
I used VLC to watch a movie and all I got back was the video with no audio. I did have OSS installed. VLC did give me a warning message stating that if I were to update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f that it may help with the audio issue.

Perhaps there are no Linux drivers for these items yet?

Any solution to address these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
No access to wired and wireless internet
I used ifconfig and I got a block of text for "dummy0" and another block of text for "lo". No info for atho or eth0 was returned. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the cards recognized. Perhaps an updated driver is required?

What wired and wireless network hardware do you have?

Offline rizzim3

I believe I have the following:

1) Wired - Atheros Communications AR8152 v2.0
2) Wifi - Broadcom Corporation BCM4313

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
2) Wifi - Broadcom Corporation BCM4313

You'll probably need to double-check on http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

..but, either the b43 or the wl modules should work and failing that ndiswrapper.

There are plently of posts on these forums about getting broadcom wifi to work.

Offline rizzim3

Juanito:
Thanks for the info. I tried the ndiswrapper method but without any success. I will try once again. If it doesn't work then I will wait for the next release of TC which I hope will have the correct drivers for my wired/wireless device.

I really enjoy working with TC (just started with Linux last week) but I do need access to the internet. So, it's back to Windows until I can resolve these network access issues.

Thanks again for your help...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Looks like the wired support for that went in to .37.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
I'd give the wl extension a go first and if that doesn't work, there's a good chance that a working windows driver (inf and sys file) would work with ndiswrapper.

Offline rizzim3

Juanito:
I did some further investigation. Read the following from the broadcom site:

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt

I believe that this is the solution but not sure if I have the skill set to actually do it. Sure, I can follow what they say but I doubt I would be able to assess any issues that may arise after. I will search the forum for some additional methodologies as well.

curaga:
I read that somewhere as well. Which makes me think I should just wait for the next build and just live with Windows in the mean time. Does anyone know when the next TC build is?

Thanks!

Offline rizzim3

Juanito:
1) Wireless issue has been resolved.

I re-read your earlier post and I mis-understood what you meant about the wl module. Anyway, I loaded the wl and wifi-radar extensions and everything works. The card is recognized, put in my WEP key and now have access to the internet.

BTW, when I configure my WEP key via the configuration menu in Wifi Radar I lose this on shutdown. I tried looking for a configure file to add it to the backup/restore file but can't find it. Do you know if there is a configure file? If so, where?

2) Still do not have wired access with my atheros card.
Will tackle this issue next but for now I'm just enjoying the fact that I have wireless!

Thanks!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
I just use a couple of iwconfig commands in bootlocal.sh.

Offline rizzim3

gerald_clark:
I was thinking of something like that but then again I don't want any wireless starting up at boot. I prefer to have the applications I require installed on an "as needed basis". I guess I can just create a text file with the WEP key and just copy and paste when asked for the key. I just assumed that there would be a Wifi Radar config file somewhere that kept the information for each access point once they were set. Perhaps there is and I just can't find it...

Thanks!

Offline rizzim3

FYI: I found the Wifi-Radar config file. If anyone is interested it is located here:

/usr/local/etc/wifi-radar/

This was from the extension Info page within AppBrowser.

I just added this to .filetool.lst and it works. No need to reenter the WEP key at next connect

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
BTW, when I configure my WEP key via the configuration menu in Wifi Radar I lose this on shutdown. I tried looking for a configure file to add it to the backup/restore file but can't find it. Do you know if there is a configure file? If so, where?

I don't use wifi radar, I just run a small script with all the required details when I need to connect using wifi:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh -e
#
tce-load -i /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/wl.tcz
tce-load -i /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/wireless_tools.tcz
#
sudo modprobe lib80211_crypt_tkip
sudo modprobe lib80211_crypt_wep
sudo modprobe lib80211_crypt_ccmp
#
sleep 5
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "ssid"
sudo iwconfig eth1 key restricted 12:34:56:78:9A:BC:DE:F0:12:34:56:78:9A

#
sudo udhcpc -b -i eth1
#
# EOF

Offline rizzim3

Juanito:
So, just run the script when required. I like that! Sounds much better then using my current method.

Quick question:
Why do you include the modprobe commands? Just asking because when I used the wl extension I did not need to do any of this. Is this required for your wireless card?

Thanks!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
The script is quite old - the modprobe commands used to be required, but quite possibly they are no longer required - I never got around to checking  :)