WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Virtualbox on tinycore issues  (Read 8351 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Re: Virtualbox on tinycore issues
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
Here I am with the same problem on a different machine. The is the powerful work laptop; I have a dual-boot and often boot into TC. Now I have VBox set up in TC and want to tun a Windows XP guest to run a heavyweight win application.

Problem is, I cannot get the network adapter driver installed. I have tried everything I can think of but nothing works. Searched the V irtualbox forums, nothing. I am about to give up. Help!

Machine is  Dell Latitude, if that helps. I have tried every network adapter in VBox but all respond exactly the same. I have used the exact same winxp.iso previously on my netbook.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
And solved again, in exactly the same way as before. I am not sure why this didn't work before.

Offline maro

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
@Jur: As I found your little problem rather surprising I tried to replicate it here: I did a rather "quick and dirty" installation of XP (just SP2 as that was the slipstreamed CD I could find right now), BUT I left initially the network configuration of the VM without any NIC.

After the OS installation (and some minor customisation of the UI) I also installed from 'VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' the GA for XP (note: the ISO image I had previously downloaded and copied to '/usr/local/share/virtualbox'). I then performed a shutdown and added a NIC leaving everything to the default settings (i.e. 'PCnet-FAST III (NAT)' which XP recognizes as "AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adaptor"). The following restart of the VM lead not even to any kind of pop-up message box and I was mildly surprised that the NIC was fully operational.

So I'm not sure what's happing at your side of the ditch. I can only assume that your VM was using a different default NIC. I'd imagine that the choice of it might differ depending on the OS type settings when one initially creates the VM.

EDIT: I've now done a bit of extra testing and of the six NIC adapter types one could chose from in VBox the following ones were requiring extra drivers for XP:
  • Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM),
  • Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM), and
  • Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net)
OTOH the following three were fine insofar as XP already had a driver for them:
  • PCnet-PCI II (Am79C970A),
  • PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973), and
  • Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:49:40 PM by maro »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 12:06:39 AM »
I think I figured it out: my virtual CD was pointing to VBoxadditions.iso, so the OS could not find the XP disk with drivers on it. Once I put the xp.iso back in, it worked, but the xp.iso was a self-built one from the OEM winxp that came with the netbook, so no CD. I assume that one driver file was missing.