WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Where to get "getconf"  (Read 4770 times)

Offline MatNieuw

Where to get "getconf"
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »
Hi, On TC 3.5.1, trying to compile LINRAD for an embedded PC, but its ./configure script misses "getconf". Googling turns up (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=3495.0) that this was in package glibc_apps previously, but the app manager doesn't show that. Nor does a search in the app manager show anything.
How can I get this?

Thanks, Mat
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:34:19 PM by roberts »

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Where to get "getconf"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:52:40 AM »
It shows here...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Hi MatNieuw
In app manager click on search and change it to Provides, then enter getconf.
According to the files list for glibc_apps it should be under /usr/bin/getconf.

Offline MatNieuw

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:27:25 AM »
Hi,

I got it now, but it is a little strange. I installed TC on two systems, one a TC3541 VLX Itona thin client with a 512 M harddisk and 12M RAM, and on a VirtualBox machine as "linux 2.6" system with 512 M disk and 512M RAM. On neither of those systems search works for me, either the full package name of via 'provides' getconf. On the Itona system (with a VIA C3 800Mhz Nehalem CPU),  get in the search result what looks like a small bash script. On the VB machine, I must have done something really wrong, because in the end it shows in the top border of 'apps' instead of the ibiblio address something local and I don't know how to change it back. The 'connect' button doesn't do anything anymore.

Apart from that. my linrad ./configure script goes a little further now, but then says "gcc doesn't work, probably missing headers. On debian install glibc6-dev". I installed glibc2_dev, did not make a difference. I tried to install glib2, it says "already installed", I guess this comes with TC?

Any ideas on how to:
- fix the "apps" to get it back to ibiblio
- how to fix the gcc problem

Thanks, Mat Nieuwenhoven

PS I'm new to TC, but like it very much. Great job!

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:44:58 AM »
If you want to compile with a microcore/tinycore system, it would be better to load the compiletc meta-extension rather than gcc - this will load all the extension usually required to compile on a microcore/tinycore boot.

You can use the apps browser to load compiletc or from the command line "tce-load -wil compiletc"

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »
Appbrowser fix is here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9115.msg49849#msg49849

Are you sure that is "12M RAM"??
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline MatNieuw

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:03:53 AM »
@juanito: I did use the compiletc meta package, still it shows the error. l've looked at the configure script output, and there's 2 things:
- uname -p returns 'unknown', don't know what it should return, maybe it doesn't recognize the VIA CPU.
- At the point where the ./configure script fails, it tries to compile libfind1.c , and when I manually do that, it cannot find include files like stdio.h, which are obviously present ("find" finds them).
Looks like I at last have to study how ./configure works :-(

@tinypoodle: I applied the fix to which the link pointed in /opt/bootlocal.sh . Don't know if it made a difference, but I have discovered at least why some of the searches don't return results. In the search.sh and provides.sh scrips I saw wget. Sure enough, the lights on my router blinked when I did a search, e.g. for "nasm". But, if I then selected 'provides' and hit enter, nothing happened. If the word to search for doesn't change, it lookes like the script simply isn't called. If I place a space behind "nasm" it works again and finds the proper files. Is this intended behaviour? Sounds unlogical to me.
Do you know where the address in the upper window line is cofigured? Normally ibiblio, but on one of the systems it is something local, and I cannot change if from within the program.

And indeed, I don't have 12M RAM, that was 128M, a typo. Meantime it's 256M even.

Thanks for all the assistance for far, and it is really refreshing to see small programs again, like "editor" in < 11k. Although I would accept an extra few hundred bytes for line numbers being visible.  :-)

Mat

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:14:01 AM »
..and there's 2 things:
- uname -p returns 'unknown', don't know what it should return, maybe it doesn't recognize the VIA CPU.

You could try copying the config.guess script from the libtool extension to overwrite the one in your package - this worked for me once..

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:38:36 AM »

same here...

Thanks for all the assistance for far, and it is really refreshing to see small programs again, like "editor" in < 11k. Although I would accept an extra few hundred bytes for line numbers being visible.  :-)

Short from installing an editor with extended capabilities 'less -N file' could show line numbers   ;)