WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Thanks for Tiny Core Linux  (Read 2480 times)

Offline sky

Thanks for Tiny Core Linux
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Hi,

this Wednesday I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and Tiny Core Linux 3.x. First I installed Ubuntu. Than I wanted to burn Tiny Core Linux onto CD. It didn't work for some reason. It took me one day to learn about all available burning-programs and test them with my internal CD-RW writer and my external CD-RW writer. I mostly distroyed my CD RWs. It took me another day of research in the Internet to figure out that whatever CD burning program I will use, it relies on cdrtools, and whatever I install, the buggy wodim will be used instead of the original cdrtools. I was shocked by the fact that mostly all Debian based distributions deny the contribution of the original cdrtools. I was shocked again when I figured out the alternative distributions like SuSE use the wodim too. In my opinion distroying my CDs is a disqualifier. So these distributions disqualified them self, since I tested a SuSE 7.2 standard installation 10 years ago, and everything worked well. I took me some hours to find a website where a user was friendly enough to provide the original cdrtools for Ubuntu. Overall I lost 3 days to this issue. Overall it means that I needed 4 days to get a fully working OS with Ubuntu.

Yesterday I installed Tiny Core Linux. Something very different and uncommon. But the precise howtos helped me to get soon a running system. I even got running another Linux inside Tiny Core Linux via Qemu. I never tried virtualization before. I only heard from it. Now I'm installing CD writing Software and I read "cdrtools, Jorg Schilling". Meanwhile I know that he is the author of the original cdrtools and I was so delighted about your distribution that I had to write this topic. Overall it took me 1 day to install a fully working OS with Tiny Core Linux. I never got touched with the phrases "kernel compile" or "SVN" or "lib12345678 is needed to compile this program 12345678". On the other side it seems that advanced users can do such crazy things with Tiny Core Linux. This is really both, user friendly and developer friendly.

I hope that Tiny Core Linux will survive at least the next 30 years.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: Thanks for Tiny Core Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:09:56 AM »
 ;D

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: Thanks for Tiny Core Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
Hey, sky. I'm just like you. I don't develop the TIny Core base or tcz's, but I do use it. And I agree that it is amazing!