WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Stop FLWM from running since I installed Gnome  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Titan

Stop FLWM from running since I installed Gnome
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:45 AM »
I have successfully installed Gnome and all is working as expected. Now I would like to disable flwm and wbar from running when the machine boots. How would I go about this? I ask because when (at boot) it reaches the desktop, I see the tinycore wallpaper, and wbar for maybe 30 seconds (with a wait cursor during that time) then gnome takes over, wallpaper changes, wbar disappears, and the gnome panels are drawn.

I've searched over the forum and google for maybe an hour now, with no soup. I did read that flwm cannot be removed without recompiling, so can I just stop it from running at boot?

Machine specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon 2200+ OC'd @ 2.1 GHZ
2 GB RAM
Nvidia 6200 with the 260 driver
Install media is a 1GB flash drive
TinyCore 3.5

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Stop FLWM from running since I installed Gnome
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:02:48 AM »
I doubt you have flwm starting, the wallpaper is set as a separate step. Use the "noicons" bootcode to skip wbar.

Just comment out the call to setwallpaper in .xsession if you prefer a black screen until gnome.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Titan

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »
Thank you for the quick response curaga.

I opened .xsessions and commented out the whole if statement related to setting the background. .xsessions now looks like
Code: [Select]
/usr/local/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp &
waitforX
"$DESKTOP" 2>/tmp/wm_errors &
export WM_PID=$!
#if [ -n "$BACKGROUND" ]; then
#  setbackground full /opt/backgrounds/"$BACKGROUND"
#else
#  [ -x ./.setbackground ] && ./.setbackground
#fi
[ -x ./.mouse_config ] && ./.mouse_config &
[ $(which "$ICONS".sh) ] && ${ICONS}.sh &
[ -d ".X.d" ] && find ".X.d" -type f -print | while read F; do . "$F"; done

Im now going to go reboot and see where I should be entering noicons. Unless I'm mistaken, after a installing to a drive, you lose the ability to pass boot parameters?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
After an install they can be edited in your bootloader's config file.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Titan

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
OK the wallpaper part worked, thank you.

I've used some weird loader to get my box to boot from the usb, so I have no clue where to even begin on editing its files... Not that I could if I wanted to anyway, as the bootloader is on an ntfs partition and I can't mount one. Not that it matters because the box has slowed to a crawl, nautilus keeps raping the CPU for no reason at all, I just find it running 80%+ without even browsing any files...

And with that, I've had my fill of linux yet again, now back to windows where I can work, not work on it. This is the biggest shortfall of every linux distro I've ever seen, you spend hours and hours and hours working to get the most basic things set up, digging through man pages, googling, installing, configuring, editing, patching, etc... and by the time it's all set, the box has slowed to a pathetic crawl, the repository has died, a new version has been released, and the whole thing begins again....

Again, thank you for taking the time to post curaga, sorry I can't stick around, but I'm sitting here in silence since VLC wont play a shoutcast stream, and I cant load local files, as they're all on ntfs drives!

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
TC is probably an unsuitable choice of Linux for Titan's situation (existing PC setup, Linux experience level, application usage goals, etc.).  Maybe Mint would have provided the desktop and most of the default applications Titan wants to use, and also be able to access NTFS-formated drives without extra options?

Offline beerstein

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:59 AM »
I agree TITAN should look at another distro - maybe Puppy would also work for him.
I spend about 500 hours so far playing around with TC and there are so many things
I do not understand yet. But I am 100% convinced TC is the best concept & "philosophy" I have ever seen in
the area of PC operating systems  - and I am here since Tandy Radio Shack TRS-DOS in the stone age of PCs.

Please do not give up TITAN - have a good one
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question