WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xvesa-7.1: how to use saved results? And how about nozap?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline jonathanbrickman0000

• PC TSC:  Easily turn a PC into a terminal server client
Xvesa-7.1: how to use saved results? And how about nozap?
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »
My project PC TSC uses TC installed to hard drive.  In the past, it would install the package "Xvesa" for nozap, i.e., so that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would not zap X.  Now a user has found that the Xvesa package is gone, and a new package, Xvesa-7.1, exists.  I tried using Xvesa-7.1, and it looks good, except it does a manual resolution and mouse-hardware setup at each boot, even though it does save its results.  Is there a way to get Xvesa-7.1 to use its saved results?  Or alternatively, does the Xvesa built-in to 3.4 now include nozap?

J.E.B.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:11:59 PM by jonathanbrickman0000 »

Offline maro

Re: Xvesa-7.1: how to use saved results? And how about nozap?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Your observation is a bit surprising to me: I've just done a comparison of the old 'Xvesa.tcz' extension with the new 'Xvesa-7.1.tcz' one. The binary files appear to be identical, just that the new one is now '/usr/local/bin/Xvesa-7.1' (instead of '/usr/local/bin/Xvesa'). Therefore a minor change can also be found in the respective startup files (i.e. "/usr/local/tce.installed/...").

Are you by any chance using TC as basis (which includes '/usr/bin/Xvesa'), and are having somewhere a direct call of 'Xvesa'? This way I could imagine that the executable from the base gets executed instead of the extension one. I believe some confusion could be avoided by creating a symlink for '/usr/local/bin/Xvesa'. That should restore the previous behaviour in which '/usr/local/bin/Xvesa' "masks" the presence of '/usr/bin/Xvesa' due to the order in $PATH.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:41 AM »
Xvesa in base of TC 3.4 does not support the '-nozap' option, in case that is what you mean.

Settings should be saved in and used from ~/.xsession
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
OK, it is getting rather odd.  I have tried several variations, all using TC 3.4.1 installed to hard drive; but no matter what I try, when TC boots with Xvesa-7.1 installed, I get an Xvesa hardware setup screen (screenshot is here).  I even put /usr/local/bin/Xvesa in /home/tc/.xsession, and after the hardware setup is done, it converts my change back to /usr/bin/Xvesa! 

I have verified that my .xsession is correct before the hardware setup runs, by quitting the setup before it does anything.

I like the hardware setup screen a lot -- it will be very useful in hardware-agnostic situations -- but I have no idea how to tell it to use existing configuration in .xsession!!!

J.E.B.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
I had renamed the extension and binary to avoid confusion with the Xvesa.tcz used with microcore.

I see the issue with the new extension, I will fix it.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
I am uploading the fixed extension, simply tce-update to get the new Xvesa-7.1.tcz and all should be well.

It has been a while since I dealt with Xvesa, and thought the previous way would work.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
Got it, and it is working well.  Thanks.

Do you have a way to call that resolution-and-mouse configurator from command prompt?  It looked very good, I would like to use it regularly.

J.E.B.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
xsetup
Same could be specified as boot parameter.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)