WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] hde: timeout waiting for DMA  (Read 25431 times)

Offline jason.ritzke

Re: [SOLVED] hde: timeout waiting for DMA
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »
TP, no reason to get snippy. I looked at the logs. I see the I/O errors. But, as I said, I've seen errors like that before, and those are the only real errors I see. Well, that, and the fact that the system isn't finding my second CPU. But I'm still researching that.

Feel free to point out any errors that aren't i/o errors on hde. But those errors don't seem to affect functionality.

EDIT: plugged in another known working disc drive. dmesg output looks the same.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:09:22 PM by jason.ritzke »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
Hi jason
You did not mention but I take it irqpoll by itself also did not work.

cat /proc/cpuinfo should tell you how many CPUs Linux thinks you have.
cat /proc/interrupts should let you check that wour interrupts are assigned correctly.

Dmesg mentions a acpi_pm_good boot code you can try.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »
cat /proc/interrupts should let you check that your interrupts are assigned correctly.

It's always a good idea to know what resources your devices are using in an old system like that. It is possible that there is an IRQ conflict with the third IDE channel.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:14 AM »
2 observations about the logs on the side:

You appear to have multiple filesystems which are overdue for a fsck.

You could possibly skip part of all that mounting going on at boot time by using boot codes, either to point to specific partitions (*=<dev>) or to exclude scanning (no*).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jason.ritzke

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 06:15:57 AM »
@TP, yes it does appear that way. I had an issue last week when I made those partitions, I didn't realize that the system thought it was 1998. The partitions are clean, I just haven't bothered to fsck them. It's on the todo list. As regards the mounting, I'd rather do it with scripts than boot codes, as it is easier to back up my work, and requires fewer seconds typing at boot.
@rich, yes, irqpoll by itself does not work. cat /proc/cpuinfo shows only one 1400 mhz pentium 3. With no lapic flag. Which I gather (from other sources) is a problem, since lapic is the subsystem that governs the multiple processors? Also, cat /proc/interrupts shows that ide 0 and 1 (the ide raid controller with drives set to spare pool) is irq 10, and that ide 3 and 4 are irqs 14 and 15 respectively. Doesn't seem to be any problem there.

I'll try acpi_pm_good

EDIT:
acpi_pm_good doesn't appear to have any effect. Neither does manually invoking lapic. I was pretty sure it was already on, and that wasn't the reason, but I had to make sure.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:33:42 AM by jason.ritzke »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »
Sounds like a plausible explanation then, and I guess slightly less bad than an error message that the last write to filesystem is in the future...

You might want to look at tune2fs:
http://www.netadmintools.com/html/8tune2fs.man.html
option -T time-last-checked
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
Hi jason
According to the docs I found online you can enable lapic in the bios. I think it was listed
under MPT. There should also be a setting called something like Clear CPU which tells
the system a CPU is functional. The ACPI: messages in dmseg look suspicious.

ACPI: RSDP 000f4f70 00014 (v00 COMPAQ)
ACPI: RSDT 2fffc000 00030 (v01 COMPAQ D10      00000002   Ò? 0000162E)
ACPI: FACP 2fffc040 00074 (v01 COMPAQ D10      00000002   Ò? 0000162E)
ACPI: DSDT 2fffc200 0320E (v01 COMPAQ     DSDT 00000001 MSFT 0100000B)
ACPI: FACS 2fffc0c0 00040
ACPI: APIC 2fffc100 00074 (v01 COMPAQ 00000083 00000002      00000000)
ACPI: SPCR 2fffc180 00050 (v01 COMPAQ SPCRRBSU 00000001   Ò? 0000162E)

The column where it says MSFT (can I use that word in this forum?) is the creator id
which in every example I've seen is in clear text. No surprises from the cat /proc/
commands. Dmesg comes right out and says it's not multi-processor.

SMP motherboard not detected.
SMP disabled

There is a boot code to tell the kernel how many CPU you have but I doubt it will work,
I'd look it up but I have to run.

Offline jason.ritzke

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2011, 10:33:23 PM »
Alllllllrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhht..... :(

So I found the MPS table settings (am I blind or something)... and I turned on apic. And then X wouldn't start. So I switched it to mapped. And X wouldn't start. So I disabled it...and X wouldn't start. So I set it to auto. Looks like this is going to be annoying. I'm going to start a new thread for this, as soon as get me some decent logs.

Right now, I REALLY have to finish my Thesis. XDD

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
This is certainly not your run of the mill PC. Depending on when your G2 was built there
may be setup functions on F8, F9, and F10 keys when you boot. The F10 key relies
on the Smartstart utilities being installed on a hidden partition. Looking foward to the
new thread when you have time to start it.

Offline tinypoodle

Re: hde: timeout waiting for DMA
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 12:50:53 AM »
As for the bootloader issue, sorry I wasn't more specific, but I like to keep threads on track. No HDD based bootloader I've tried has worked. Even with the boot partition in fat 32 and under 256mb. The bios doesn't even appear to see them. It just hangs with a flashing cursor followed by an "invalid system disk". Is that specific enough?

Just a thought:
Have you tried by marking the boot partition - and only that one - as active?