WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] a file like shutdown.sh but launched before backup occours  (Read 1592 times)

Offline jls

Every time tc starts and I open midori browser I get an error "sayin'" that the applicataion was not closed properly, this is because when  I shut down the pc I don't close it; so I propose a user customizable script like shutdown.sh but being executed from exittc before backup occours.
dCore user

Offline tinypoodle

Re: [SUGGESTION] a file like shutdown.sh but launched before backup occours
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
It could be estimated that a big part of users would rather refrain from shutting any apps while doing periodical backups (for obvious practical reasons) - as opposed to shutting apps when having intention to shutdown, therefore coupling such a feature with exittc sounds like a half-baked solution.

Personally I have never have any issue with restoring a backup which was taken with apps running, but I could imagine that an inclusion of pid- or lock-files could possibly create such, perhaps you could make an attempt at looking into which file(s) is causing the problem and then add it to .xfiletool.lst

A different approach could be to include something like 'killall [-SIG] process-name' in filetool.sh at the beginning (or use a wrapper script with something along the lines of 'killall midori && filetool.sh -b').
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)