WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Sage Open Source Mathematics Software Extension?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline antiMS

Sage Open Source Mathematics Software Extension?
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »
Good morning,

Have any of you smart techie folks considered creating an extension for the Sage open source mathematics software?

According to the Sage website (http://www.sagemath.org/), they have a Linux download, and a source code download available. However, according to their Linux Download page, "At the moment there are no distribution-specific packages available. Progress is being made for Debian and Fedora."

From what I read Sage is a wicked powerful python-based math suite.

It would be great to have such a powerful math tool available in TC!

Being a TC newbie (just loaded it this past weekend), I definitely don't know how to prepare a package for use in TC.

Will one of you smart folks consider creating a TC extension for Sage?

Thanks!

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Sage Open Source Mathematics Software Extension?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
Looking at that site, it seems to be confusing at least, if not contradicting...
Following the links for downloading, it turns out there are several distro-specific packages, just not for debian and fedora...
It had first occurred to me to just download and see if I can make it work, until I realized the size...
The tarball is 489MB, yikes   :o

However, I see there is a .sfs package for Puppy, I wouldn't exclude there could be a chance this might work, renaming the .sfs to .tcz
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline antiMS

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
Hey, tinypoodle.

I've got a dumb question - please bear with me since I'm a TC newbie!

Since the Sage website provides the following statement,
"Linux Download Linux binaries
Usage:
Select the one that suits your setup and extract it in your file-browser by right clicking "extract" or on the command-line using: tar xvzf sage...tar.gz.
Run sage by calling the command: sage
does that mean I can just utilize this procedure in TC?

I've got a feeling the solution is more involved than that, based upon your initial response.

Is there a simple/ easy way to prepare Linux binaries for utilization within TC?

Thanks!

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »
Reading instructions of the maker and then experimenting.
I already suggested above what I would try first, otherwise trying the tarball would be an alternative.

You could run ldd on the executable(s) to check for missing dependencies.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:58:10 AM »
sage distributes third party packages bundled (even python is included). so in a base tc system you should be able to run it (btw you may need to load bash.tcz)