WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core as a music server  (Read 2558 times)

Offline islander

Tiny Core as a music server
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:10:39 AM »
Has anybody got any practical experience of using TC as music player.  I would like a realtime (or very close to it) kernel and the latest version of ALSA with USB2 sound?

A second question -- how can I change the name of the default user TC to say "bob" while still keeping all the TC privileges?  Or alternatively can someone direct me to discussion of users in TC (I cant seem to find one in the Forums)

Thanks -- Islander

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Tiny Core as a music server
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
Has anybody got any practical experience of using TC as music player.  I would like a realtime (or very close to it) kernel and the latest version of ALSA with USB2 sound?

umm, server or player?   ???
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline islander

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »
I am using a stand-alone system feeding into my stereo .  In terms of software I was thinking in terms of either (i) mpd+gmpc or sonata (to allow future expansion to a network) , or (ii) deadbeef.  Deadbeef is what I have running currently under Ubuntu

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
If you'd like to stream music, there's a rygel extension

Offline islander

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »
I have been using my Xubuntu setup to experiment with the software and the need for a realtime kernel (it sounds better in many cases).  I guess my real questions are:
(i) has anybody got any advice -- i.e. are there things to avoid,
(ii) what is involved in getting a realtime kernel (I am somewhere between beginner and experienced) and
(iii) how can I change the default user from tc to say "bob" so that I have the same directory structure as on my Ubuntu machine, viz /home/tom/music.  (all my play lists are based on that structure)

Offline maro

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »
I can only give you some pointer re. (iii): If you want to use a different default user name than 'tc' you'll just have to use the boot code 'user=bob' in your boot loader. That means for EXTLINUX to add it to the 'append' line, for (legacy) GRUB it's the 'kernel' line and for GRUB2 the 'linux' line.

But the user name might not be the (only) thing to keep in mind as there is the matter of the group and the respective numerical IDs for both. I guess it all depends whether you want to use a copy of your existing structure or (rather more likely) to re-use it. In the latter case I imagine that you want to match in the TC system the numerical IDs used in the Ubuntu system. I trust you are aware that id shows you the relevant details for your users, whilst ls -ln shows you the relevant numerical IDs for files.

If you decide that you want to make changes to for example the numerical IDs in '/etc/passwd' and '/etc/group' bear in mind that you'll have to add those files to the backup "while-list" (e.g. via echo etc/passwd >> /opt/.filetool.lst ; echo etc/group >> /opt/.filetool.lst) and also make sure that you have done a backup (e.g. via filetool.sh -b) before you shut down.

Offline islander

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
Thanks -- I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Offline hiro

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
If you only want to play music and not set up something more interactive like a daw, you don't need a realtime kernel.

Offline moB

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:48 AM »
I might try the server/client player XMMS2.

This is not XMMS. It is a new application. Run it headless or with one of teh many front-ends. it can be controlled from multiple interfaces at once. I like the CLI or lxmusic...

Many others like VLC.

moB

But no more of this blubbering now, we are going a-whaling
 --Melville, Moby Dick

Edit:

Tutorial by hiro on streaming music: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8197.0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:34:13 AM by moB »