WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: MicroCore-Startx  (Read 12084 times)

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

MicroCore-Startx
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:16:05 PM »
 I first want to start off by telling ya that I'm a COMPLETE NEWBIE TO LINUX PERIOD. Anywho I'm very much determined to learn, even though starting out with Tinycore has been very overwhelming for me.

I started out with Tinycore last week and managed to install it and get it up in running with firefox, Xfce4 ect ect blah blah blah but I could not get the wbar to stop pupping up every time the Xfce desktop would start. So I got feed up and decided to be crazy enough to try out Microcore and NOT install wbar. Plus, it would be really nice to accomplish such a thing seeing that I'm still on my first week with Linux and I never went to school or anything like that for Computers.

Anyways to get to my point, I downloaded the Microcore.iso and burned it then pupped it in the computer but I see a Terminal? Right? .........Okay So I browsed the forms and found out that "ab" brings up the app-browser. Okay, so now I download Xfce4.tcz and Xvesa. "I figured ok soo maybe now I can startx but I get a message saying startx is not found! Hmm....... Now what? Also I receive a message that Desktop.sh is NOT found. After trying for about 24 hrs none stop "I'm also receiving a message that says try a easier Distro" ! lol I fully realize that I'm pushing myself to hard, seeing that I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LINUX "BASICALLY". Is it possible to startx without first installing microcore or do I have to install microcore first? Why no desktop.sh? Why startx can not be found? and what is desktop.sh?

I refuse to try an easier Distro "I love Tinycore/Microcore for obvious reasons."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks George

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: MicroCore-Startx
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »
If you're using microcore and you'd like to use X, you need to download Xprogs.gz and Xlibs.gz and put them in your /tce folder (not your tce/optional folder).

You also need either Xvesa.gz or the Xorg-7.5 extension.

Aftert that, it's up to you whether you use flwm/wbar or another window manager

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
 Thank you for the very quick response........ Now when you say "If you're using microcore and you'd like to use X" , does X mean a desktop? I'm pretty sure it does but not 100% sure.

Okay I'll download Xprogs.gz and Xlibs.gz but how do I put them in my /tce folder????????

I appreciate any help and apologize for the stupid questions. I really need step by step details on how to put them in my /tce folder though. I'm guessing it's all done from the terminal when I first put the cd in, but how? What do I have to type?

Also If I choose Xorg-7.5 extension does it have to go in the /tce folder as well? Is it called Xorg-7.5gz or tcz? What's the difference between gz and tcz?

Once again sorry for the must seem to be ridiculously stupid questions and thanks for any help from you or anybody else that cares to answer my questions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:06:30 PM by cURIOUSgEORGE »

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »
there is a kernel boot code for disabling wbar, it is "noicons"
Code: [Select]
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#bootcodes

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »
New users would find it easier starting with Tiny Core.

When they understand Tiny Core, they can learn Microcore if they want to.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
Thank you for the very quick response........ Now when you say "If you're using microcore and you'd like to use X" , does X mean a desktop? I'm pretty sure it does but not 100% sure.

X = X window system, I guess it's correct to say you need a window manager after that to get a desktop.

Okay I'll download Xprogs.gz and Xlibs.gz but how do I put them in my /tce folder????????

Assuming you booted with microcore:
Code: [Select]
$ cd /mnt/hda1/tce
$ wget -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/microcore/Xlibs.gz
$ wget -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/release/microcore/Xprogs.gz
..substitute hda1 with hdx or sdx (x=1,2,3,..) depending on where your /tce folder is located.

Also If I choose Xorg-7.5 extension does it have to go in the /tce folder as well? Is it called Xorg-7.5gz or tcz? What's the difference between gz and tcz?

X*gz are overlays whose purpose is to bridge the gui gap between microcore and tinycore, *tcz are tinycore extensions and go in /tce/optional.

Again if you booted with microcore and if you wish to use Xorg-7.5 rather than Xvesa, you can type "ab" (for apps browser) and follow the prompts - this will download Xorg-7.5 and its deps and put them in the correct place.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:42:49 PM by Juanito »

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
 Thank you all for the help and advice. Juanito thanks for the superb details. That was very cool of you. Alrighty I'm going to give it another shot now........
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:24:09 AM by cURIOUSgEORGE »

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
 Alrighty I'm another happy camper ! I got to my desktop with only 1 problem though, I couldn't startx at the time but when I rebooted the cd it brought me right to my desktop. I wonder why it didn't work when I type startx. I couldn't have done it without the help from everybody, "like I said I never used linux before in my life so I had NO CLUE what too type", so thank you all very much for the great support!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »
..but when I rebooted the cd it brought me right to my desktop. I wonder why it didn't work when I type startx.

..just to double-check, you burnt a microcore cd, right? Where is your /tce folder?