WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Onboot and OnDemand  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Terminator3000

Onboot and OnDemand
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
Hi on installing Microcore I added a few extensions using the appbrowser,but set them to be onboot. I have since discovered that setting them ondemand will shorten boot time.

Is there a way I can change them from onboot to ondemand ?

Thanks.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Onboot and OnDemand
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
1. Use AppsAudit OnBoot Maintenance to delete from On Boot item..
2. Reboot to uninstall them
3. Use AppsAudit OnDemand maintenance to Select for OnDemand.

Starting with v3.2rc2 reboot won't be necessary.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Ztoragefool

OnDemand
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:37:13 AM »
tried out OnDemand installation on regular tc for two extensions: nano and midnight commander.

rebooted. opened aterm.

tc$ sudo su
root$ mc            
Don´t run this as root.   # wtf?
root$ exit
tc$ mc
   # nothing at all!
tc$ sudo su
root$ mc
   # now it works!

open another shell as user tc - now it works.
reboot - same game.
try with nano - same game.

so root user seems to be excluded from onDemand benefits. so is the first user after booting who wants to use onDemand commandos without logging in again.

i´m not shure whether i came across the same issue on my stick. this system runs from an ext2 sata partition.

a yeah, i´ve already seen "Don´t run this as root" messages using tce-load as root user. what´s the reason for this?

... just as a bug report, maybe you find some cure for the future. for now i´ll stick to onBoot installation type. i´m positively so upset about your lean system, guess after many frustrating attempts to switch to linux, THIS will get my home!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:47:51 AM by Ztoragefool »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
The root user is not excluded fron ondemand, but you have to load the extension first.

Taking the example of beaver - if you set beaver ondemand and re-boot and try either "beaver" or "sudo beaver" from a terminal, nothing will happen until you've loaded the extension using either the icon or menu item - once this is done, both "beaver" and "sudo beaver" will work.

Running tce-load as root has nothing to do with being able to use sudo after an extension is loaded.

Offline Ztoragefool

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
thanks for your reply!

yep, it´s exactly like you wrote:
... if you set beaver ondemand and re-boot and try either "beaver" or "sudo beaver" from a terminal, nothing will happen ...

... hence a description called OnDemand doesn´t really fit, does it?
nevermind, i see it makes sense as gui apps load on clicking their icon. my point is, i could imagine a more refined behavior making it OnDemand for shell commandos.

Running tce-load as root has nothing to do with being able to use sudo after an extension is loaded.

sorry, my question should have been: why must root not call tce-load?
this has been an issue for me in a previous ext2 installation, where file permissions didn´t allow the tc user to tce-load anything. i reinstalled tc and it works, so i must have screwed it, i just wondered why root isn´t allowed to install anything... i mean... it´s ROOT!

Offline Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
I am not sure what you already understand.

If you start applications from the terminal, the simplest way it to make them On Boot.

For those using Tiny Core - not Micro Core.
If you want to run them as On Demand, you can open the App Browser, click Local, and load the applications. Then start them from the terminal.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »
I am running 3.3rc2.
For on-demand extensions you can type the extension name and it automatically tce-loads.
Then type a command name to execute the command. EX:

$ openssh
$ ssh

Offline Ztoragefool

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:24:58 AM »
thanks for your hints, guys :)

i double checked what you wrote, i think this would lead to nothing more than a discussion on how to interpret "onDemand" - nothing worth to burn your nerves and my credits for ;)

so have a nice week and look forward to some more stupid questions i´ll post!