WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing to hard drive - instructions for a newbie  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Installing to hard drive - instructions for a newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
It boots up and when I click on the Set TCE Drive it says that /mnt/hda1/tce is set as my drive and again doesn't give me any options after that.

This is good - so if you used the app browser to download opera (for example), it should have been saved to /mnt/hda1/tce. How did you download opera?

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »
I downloaded Opera and all the .tcz files are stored in /home/tce.

Are you very sure about that path?
Could you double-check that?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
It sounds to me like TC cannot mount /dev/hda1.
Does /dev/hda1 contain an  ext2/ext3/vfat file system?

Offline bern

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »
Hi all.  I checked the path where it is storing the .tcz files, and it is /home/tc (not /home/tce as I said earlier) within tc's virtual file system in ram.  I've also realised that i've confused myself a bit.  While my question has pertained to my laptop, I can't actually test on that as it only has a wireless connection, which TC isn't picking up yet (that's a problem for further down the track ;) ).  So I have been testing on my pc which has Linux mint on it (i've been running tc from the mint file system), but I forgot that that's not all it has on it.  I've also got two partitions of xp on there as well.   So hda1 actually refers to an xp partition, so it's no wonder it isn't working.  When I get home I'll try and correct where it sets the /tce folder.  My Mint partition is sda6, so does that mean I should use tce=hda6 at boot?

Offline maro

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
... so does that mean I should use tce=hda6 at boot?

Simple answer: YEP

You could even play this game a bit further, as the boot code would also support a "personalized" tce-directory like 'tce=sda6/path/to/tce' (meaning: the 'tce' directory is in the '/path/to' directory of your 'sda6' file system). That might be of interest if you want to have different options in your boot loader with different 'tce' directories. If only the file system is specified (e.g. 'tce=sda6') the 'tce' directory is assumed to be in the root of this file system.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
For embedding Tiny Core in Ubuntu style grub2 installs on ext2, ext3, I use this very simple and effective method. Uses a single directory for everything Tiny Core needs. See: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7707.msg41920#msg41920
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bern

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
Hi all.  Sorry for the delayed reply.  I played around for a while trying to get it to work, and eventually gave up.  Just recently I have installed it to it's own partition on both my laptop and my pc.  It's working  ;D, and in general I'm happy, but there are a few strange things I can't seem to work out. 

1. On both my pc and laptop, I have installed Opera and require it to play .swf flash games.  I followed the instructions on the wiki and another tinycore site (sorry, don't have the urls at the moment), and downloaded and installed the getFlash10.tcz extension, and supposedly moved the libflashsupport and libflashplayer to the right directories.  So, now I can get the flash games to load up, and it will accept the first mouse click, but won't accept anymore after that.  So I guess the question is, has anyone heard of a problem like this before?  (by the way, I've got it to work with Minefield browser, but I greatly prefer Opera and would like to get it working on it).

2.  The second problem is to do with my laptop.  For some reason it jumbles up the rgb channels with blue displaying as green, and red as blue.  Any idea what might be going on?  I should point out that I have run other linuxes and windows on this machine and the colour was fine.

Ah, just thought of a third question: I can't seem to change the screen resolution (on my PC version).  I've tried using the vga boot code and the xvesa=1280x1024x24 boot code, but no luck.  The vga one changes the screen resolution of the loading stage, but the actual windows environment still displays in the same resolution (roughly 1024x780ish) which strangely won't all fit inside the width of a browser window (whereas it will fit fine with windows and the same resolution).  The xvesa boot code did nothing.  Any ideas?

cheers.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 05:35:26 AM »
First of all, you open 2-3 different issues which seem unrelated to topic of this thread...

1. Which opera version?

2. You might wanna try alternative X servers.
    Which graphics cards?
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 07:14:16 AM »
There's a solution for the Opera & flash mouse click issue in the hints and tips section somewhere.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bern

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
There's a solution for the Opera & flash mouse click issue in the hints and tips section somewhere.

Thanks for that.  I found the article and changed the operapluginwrapper script and that seems to have fixed the problem.  cheers!

Offline maro

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
@bern: You need to distinguish the purpose of the 'vga=...' and the 'xvesa=...' boot codes. AFAIK the former is used by the kernel to set up a specific video mode. The default X server (i.e. 'Xvesa') will completely ignore it, but if you use the 'Xfbdev.tcz' extension (i.e. the X server using the framebuffer device) this video mode will determine it's resolution.

To find out what video modes are available use (at least once) 'vga=ask'. That should list the available modes (after you pressed "Enter"). You could then even go further and request a 'scan'.

For 'Xvesa' you could get a list of the supported resolutions by using Xvesa -listmodes. Any of those (e.g. '1280x1024x16') could then be used as parameter for the 'xvesa=...' boot code (which is specific to TC).