WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: xsane  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
xsane
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:49:50 PM »
xsane.tcel submitted - xsane.tczl to follow.

Note that this extension will only work with the hplip extension at the moment. I believe a full version of sane-backends (a minimal version is included with hplip) would be required to use it with a stand-alone scanner:
Code: [Select]
Title:          xsane.tcel
Description:    xsane
Version:        0.996
Author:         see list of sites below
Original-site:  see list of sites below
Copying-policy: see list of sites below
Size: 517KB
Extension_by:   juanito
Comments:       xsane and sane-frontends for tinycore
                ----------
                Requires glib1.tcel, gtk1.tcel & graphics-libs-1.tcel
                ----------
                For use with the full sane-backends (not built)
                ...or hplip.tcel
                ----------
                This extension contains:
                sane-frontends-1.0.14.tar.gz - GPLv2 - www.sfr-fresh.com/linux/misc/sane-frontends-1.0.14.tar.gz
                xsane-0.996 - GPLv2 - www.sfr-fresh.com/linux/misc/xsane-0.996.tar.gz
Change-log:     First version
Current:        2009/03/13
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:15:43 AM by Juanito »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: xsane
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:11:06 AM »
I had meant to ask you if you were planning on doing xsane since I have some scanning to do and was going to make and submit this if you didn't have plans to.  I reckon I could make sane-backends this afternoon as I would probably need it for my non-hp scanner. 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:24:53 AM »
Please go ahead - I felt nervous about submitting sane-backends in dsl as I don't have a stand-alone scanner to test and would still feel nervous about this in tc.

I figure xsane will work as stands with both hplip and the full version of sane-backends if you'd care to try.

Note I compiled xsane for gtk1 with no gimp/gimp2 plugin - I need to see if gimp/gimp2 will work with a symlink to xsane - otherwise xsane would depend on libgimp/libgimp2...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:40:20 AM »
I was given a couple of scanners this year so I have about 3 to test with.  Hopefully I can test and submit today.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »
Built of sane-backends went ok but for some reason does not detect my scanner.  I had built this extension on a previous distro once and it worked flawlessly but there is something in there that is amiss.  I thought this would be a quick compile-and-submit, and I don't have the time right now to troubleshoot it.  Maybe later if no one else does it first.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »
What sort of scanner do you have - usb, parallel, scsi, firewire? - The reason I ask is that maybe a kernel driver is required (I'm sure you thought of that) or maybe there is a udev/groups permission error?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »
I tried sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L and both worked this time after only rebooting to clear the system (no mounted tclocal) and a "make install" from the build directory on /mnt/hda2.  It works so I will play with it some more and hopefully package it up soon.  I have to run off to work now but at least there has been some progress.

I think I read that sane works exclusively through libusb and no kernel drivers are used.  I don't see anything new in 'lsmod'.

Oh, and xsane finds and uses my scanner when run as root but not as regular user, fwiw.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 02:24:58 AM »
Oh, and xsane finds and uses my scanner when run as root but not as regular user, fwiw.

This is the kind of error I saw early on with hplip before I modified the udev permissions for the usb subsystem. xsane works with hplip as user tc. I would hazard a guess you see this behavior using xsane stand-alone because user tc is not part of the "scanner" group.

Maybe things will work with the mods in tinycore-1.3rc1?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:29:15 AM »
I tried the scanner group and all, but come to think of it I am using an older TC version at the moment (which is normally fine to upload extensions with, but the udev stuff could already be fixed) and I will sort this out tonight.  If sane as user  is supported by udev/group then xsane would by definition be also.

Oh, would you mind if I made a xsane-standalone extension as xsane pulls in cups, hplip, perl, python, and a lot of other stuff.  Don't get me wrong, it is great we have all that supported, but an option for a simple gtk1 xsane that would require only sane-backends and libusb would be good to have too.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 04:20:42 AM »
If sane as user  is supported by udev/group then xsane would by definition be also.
Except that the way I'm using it, it passes via the "hp" backend, which perhaps changes things...

Oh, would you mind if I made a xsane-standalone extension as xsane pulls in cups, hplip, perl, python, and a lot of other stuff.  Don't get me wrong, it is great we have all that supported, but an option for a simple gtk1 xsane that would require only sane-backends and libusb would be good to have too.
The xsane I compiled only depends on glib1, gtk1, graphics-libs-1, no? Of course, no problem for you to go ahead, but I was thinking if you compiled the full sane-backends, it would work with the xsane extension? As well as a dependency on the usb-utils extension, you might need to compile libieee1284 to support parallel port scanners?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:17:14 AM »
You're right, hplip is what pulls the dependencies and I tried it first to see if it's sane-backends had support for my scanner.  So sane-backends would be all that is needed to go with existing xsane.  Sane was on the back burner yesterday after the first quick attempt so the details were a little blurry.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Hardware issues and an 84 hour work week have stalled sane for now.  I will rebuild it and package it up here this next week.  It will be doable once my scanner machine is back in action.