WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dependencies for 'wireless_tools.tcz' extension  (Read 2035 times)

Offline maro

Dependencies for 'wireless_tools.tcz' extension
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
Would someone please correct me if my thinking here is wrong:

Let's assume one has to use the 'ndiswrapper.tcz' extension, which itself depends on 'wireless_tools.tcz' (plus 'perl5.tcz'). This now "drags in" the respective 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' extension. Isn't this then in a sort of "competition" to the 'ndiswrapper.tcz' extension?

Should therefore 'wireless_tools.tcz' depend on 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz'? Sure for a lot of users this is the "typical" situation (i.e. they'll need the 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' extension anyway) and quite a few other extensions depend on 'wireless_tools.tcz'. I'd imagine quite a few of those are implicitely assuming that 'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' is installed as well, but is that really the "correct" way of achieving this?

I guess this question might be re-opening the can of worms WRT to "alternative dependencies" (e.g. an entry like 'ndiswrapper.tcz|'wireless-KERNEL.tcz' in 'wireless_tools.tcz').

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Dependencies for 'wireless_tools.tcz' extension
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
In the particular case of wireless drivers, that would be a very dynamical can of worms, as there are many extensions with wireless drivers in the repo, and extensions with additional wireless drivers could be submitted at any given moment.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)