WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Same partition as other Linux distro with persistent home and opt?  (Read 10562 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: Same partition as other Linux distro with persistent home and opt?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 04:19:57 AM »
- tce on fat32. IIRC some files in /opt have permissions different from default.

In addition to that, it would not be possible to symlink pictures located in different paths in order to be used as background on demand.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 06:25:27 AM »
One of the characteristics of TC is the strict separation of base, local static data, dynamic data.

This provides for a maximum of flexibility and portability and simplicity of administration.

For many years I hat tried to achieve similar in various ways with various distros in hackish ways for my own purposes, more or less successfully. TC is providing such out of the box, and despite explicitly stating not to be a keyturn system, to me wrt to this very aspect in fact it is keyturn more or less.

Integrating the dynamical data which is now located in /opt into /tce would be a first step away from this principal structure which I am not sure where it could lead to.

Also this would mean that in cloud mode local customized boot scripts and configuration files would be placed in /tmp, which I don't think is the greatest of all ideas.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:03:34 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 06:30:54 AM »
Good point. 
There are executable bash scripts in opt that wouldn't have an execute bit set on a windows FS.
They would have to be shelled.

.tce_dir, .backup_device etc. could be moved to /tmp/tce if necessary.  They get rewritten anyway.

Umm, I think it's quite exactly the other way round.
On FAT* all files would appear executable under Linux.
I never had any issue about executing apps located on FAT*.