WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: licence on custom TC  (Read 2376 times)

Offline tester123

licence on custom TC
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:08:06 PM »
Hi there,
I have almost finished doing a up a spec install for a client but before I present it I just had a thought about licensing

The build I have done is going to be in a public place (Display machines, hopefully in several sites) - if the client - or worse, a competitor realised that it is based on Linux and asks me for the source code - what happens?

I am only using TC and extensions downloaded from the extension repository.
So is my obligation only to point them to TC? Or the linux source code?
Do I have to say what extensions I am using?

Is there any info on this kind of stuff on the web as I am just starting to research it.

Thanks
Liam

Offline thane

Re: licence on custom TC
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
I'm not the person to answer any questions about licensing, but a search of the forum (button at top of page) showed a similar question has been asked before:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=7541.0

Offline tester123

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
Hmm, thanks for the info, I am still researching myself.

That article seemed to be about distos,
I wonder how it applies to selling custom made appliances such as a machine with TC + some extensions. Does that constitute a 'distro'

I will continue searching and researching and see what I can find.
Has anyone else sold TC+extension machines?

Thanks
Liam

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
You are bound by the GPL to distribute source yourself, either with the product or on request. This only applies to GPL'd parts, but most are, anyway.

Pointing to upstream (ie. us) is not allowed. Where would your clients get the source if we went under?

Note that you only need to make source available to clients who have the binaries. If your competitor asks you without having one, you need not give the sources to them.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tester123

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
Thanks,
That's sort of what I thought, but aren't there routers etc that are based on linux?
and a lot of devices have an embedded Apache for HTTP configuration but I don't see source code for the routers etc available on (for example) ASUS website.

Thanks
Liam.

Offline tinypoodle

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline hiro

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:43:48 AM »
If they ask you to send them your source code you migh use a few floppy disks for distribution, so that they don't bother asking again.