General TC > Programming & Scripting - Unofficial

Flume math app BETA version 0.9.0

<< < (5/5)

Frank:

--- Quote from: MikeLockmoore on November 23, 2010, 10:02:36 AM ---I hope you appreciate this will require a fairly sophisticated approach.
--- End quote ---
The detailed examples make it clear that the matter is not trivial  :) Your postfix solution looks very promising.

Thank you for having seen my point, and for the pleasant conversation.

TheNewbie:
Is this meant to go beyond arithmetic to equation solving? Because if you plan to add imaginary numbers, you'll have a system for handling variables as symbolic values. That's basically the only hurdle in adding features dealing with equations (quadratics, systems), isn't it...?

Also, is it feasible to have another FLTK app take advantage of Flume's CLI?

As for the issue of format conversion, you could have the "as" syntax, but separate various keywords into categories. You wouldn't want "as real hex". So far, the categories (off the top of *your* head :P) are integer length (ex. dword), rounding (floor vs round), and format (ex. hex, real). You'd have to enforce a specific order (dword hex vs hex dword?) or specific signals as to what category a keyword is (L-dword F-hex R-floor)... The so-called category signals or enforced order are only necessary in a multiple keyword modifier, of course. Without any such order/signals, you could simply do a search for every keyword and keep a count in each keyword and category to check for multiple or invalid keywords, but that seems rather inefficient when taking into perspective typing "L-dword F-hex" vs "dword hex"

MikeLockmoore:
@ TheNewbie: I'm not likely to implement equation solving anytime soon. But there are times that I want to do arithmetic with numbers in different formats and be able to see the results different ways.  I have not fully thought through the "as" syntax.  You raise issues I will need to think about.  I don't want the syntax to get too cumbersome to use or hard to implement, and I won't necessarily prevent the user from entering something bizarre. But I hope to handle the common and "natural" cases with minimum fuss or surprise to the user.  Maybe I will have something definitive to share by the New Year.  ;)

MikeLockmoore:
@ Frank, tinypoodle, TheNewbie: new version addresses many of your issues and suggestions.  Thanks for the feedback.  Feel free to try the new one and let me know what you think.  If you can't build it yourself from source, let me know and I will offer another option.  ;)
--
Mike Lockmoore

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version