General TC > General TC Talk

TinyCore: just a few steps left to the ultimate OS

<< < (2/6) > >>

thane:
"I never suggested to expand base TC system. My opinion is all of the modifications should be done in userspace (extensions + userdata), just not to destroy core's optimizing infrastructure."

Fair enough. I have no quarrel with that.

jur:
The only thing I can think of to make tcl more accessible to windoze refugees is to provide more GUIs to do configuration, and that is steadily increasing with each release.

If you look at other distros that come pre-packaged with a choice of managers and apps, for each main one there is huge number of variations as each owl on a clod reckons this or that particular bunch of managers and apps is better. Ubuntu and puppylinux are good examples - for each main release there is a huge range of spinoffs to choose from.

But now look at tinycore - there are no spinoffs. This is surely due to the extreme customization ability. I was looking at your iso, and you use very similar stuff to me - openbox, tint2, chromium rox and a few others. So by changing the background, the wbar position and a few other minors, it is almost identical to my favorite setup (except I use OnDemand extensively).

So each time I toy with the idea of making the ultimate .iso, I very quickly run up against, "what's the point?" :)

^thehatsrule^:
I did add an edit the first post, but it appears to have been changed since.  Please don't ignore it next time.

I would like to remind everyone of the policy concerning specific remasters and their discussions.  http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5543.0

Since there seems to be more general discussion generated, this thread will be kept open for now.

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: Monobit.Fortrix on November 02, 2010, 02:09:53 PM ---third-party batterymon.py as a battery indicator. However, I wouldn't like an odd python dependency for such a simple task.

--- End quote ---

There is 'flit' which is fltk native and only 20 Kb.

--- Quote ---The capacity is also great but the number of mouse actions remains. With Monto or something similar, you have to click once just to mount and right-click to open the folder you have mounted. And with Rox? Btw, unmounting is more handy in Rox - you just close the mount directory and confirm the unmounting, two clicks too. ;)

--- End quote ---

The panel or pinboard of ROX could be used, if the goal is to minimize number of mouse clicks.
Also the 'bookmarks' feature in the filer.

--- Quote ---OK, what does your build have? I'm curious of it.
--- End quote ---

It's whatever I was in need of since last boot 23 days ago, as an indication I have 83 extensions mounted at this moment. And I would rather call it 'menu du jour' than build.

--- Quote ---I'm getting more curious - what browser does your build have? And does it have Flash plugin with working sound? :)
--- End quote ---

At current that would be opera10, which even could be considered a waste of space, as it has qt as a dependency, and including deps sums up to 21.73 MB, while opera (9.64) uses  9.25 MB of space.
On this occasion I did a quick test: Removing all locales from opera 10.62 which has hardly any dependencies (Looking at the binary with ldd it appears like it needs fontconfig and expat2 which I had already installed, a bit more than 200 Kb, I didn't test on a base boot), then make a squashfs from it ended up with 13 MB, so I could save another  ~8.5 or 12.5 MB there by either down- or upgrading version.
Also I have links as a browser at the moment.
And yes, I have used getFlash10.tcz to install flash plug-in, and it works fine with alsa.

--- Quote ---(with about 300 megs load limit, of course)

--- End quote ---

I think a size of 300 MB would limit the usability of TC a lot when it comes to low spec PC's, personally I would not choose such to run on a box with less than 1.5 GB of RAM.

Guy:
Do you plan to continue this?

By now you have probably read the link posted by thehatsrule.

If you are going to make this successful, you will need to make updated versions fairly often. With all of the improvements to Tiny Core, yours will become outdated if you don't continually make updated versions.

I did not download your iso, so I don't know what was on it. I see it being useful if you include all extensions people are likely to need when installing it in different situations. For example, include extensions for USB Install, include GParted and Grub for hard drive install, and include extensions needed by those using wireless internet, so they can connect to the internet without having to download anything extra. If you include all those things, those with little understanding of Linux will find this useful. If you really want to make is stand out, make a graphical installer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version