General TC > General TC Talk

TinyCore: just a few steps left to the ultimate OS

<< < (6/6)

Guy:
Just my opinion.

The name Cassandra does not sound like an ideal name for a Linux distro.

I have not thought of a better one.

Why not get the suggestions of others. See who can suggest the best name.

Just my opinion. You may disagree.

Monobit.Fortrix:
Thanks for the constructive answers, anyway.

--- Quote from: roberts on November 04, 2010, 02:46:48 PM ---Again, there are hundreds of turnkey Linux system for those that desire that type of system.

--- End quote ---
You see, no one of that turnkey systems is based on TC technology and thus hasn't got its main advantages.

--- Quote ---A pre-built Tiny Core remaster does not show the potential of Tiny Core, the same way a pre-built erector set toy does not show the potential of an erector set.

--- End quote ---
At least more people will know about TC itself and if they want its full flexibility potential (and really know how to use it) they will either get a bare TC version or will remove the userspace level from Cassandra, in fact getting the same bare TC version. I know that mostly anyone here (including myself) is ready to do plenty of reconfiguration work to get the simple tasks be done seamlessly but Cassandra would be intended just for those who aren't ready for this, showing some optimal functionality from the start and architecture advantages of TC at the same time. It's a pity but the world isn't limited by computer geeks only. Why must the soultion for others (those hundreds of distros mentioned above) be worse than geeky solutions such as TC?

--- Quote from: danielibarnes on November 04, 2010, 04:13:33 PM ---I support this. It is a good thing. A simple derivative distro can simply pluck a few apps from the repository, bundle them into a cpio.gz, and add it to an existing tinycore_3.x.iso. No base modification needed to get started.

--- End quote ---
You see, I had to do some reconfiguration in the userdata scripts in order to:
1) get actual mounting information for Monto;
2) let the user configure the keyboard layout and wallpaper by editing the files (yet) keyboard.set and wallpaper.set in the MySystemSettings folder without any intrusion to session start scripts;
3) start Conky, Tint2, Monto and restore the layouts after starting an X session.

--- Quote ---Thus your project. There are numerous distributions which target specific markets, like audio-video editing, cluster computing, etc. They also have to base their distribution on something, and I think Tiny Core is as good a base as anything (like Robert said, that's what it's for). Debian is common because of its large package base, but I think Tiny Core is adequate. When it isn't, developers are easy to reach via this forum.

--- End quote ---
That's the point. When more people, including developers, notice that TC is a good base for everything, probably it will become the main platform technology of the further Linux distributions.

--- Quote ---Here is another suggestion: x.y.z.build where x.y.z is the Tiny Core version (e.g., 1.4.3) and build is the build number. That sort of system is widely used.

--- End quote ---
And that's why it looks not so pretty. Thousands of newbies use Windows XP and don't even know that in fact it's NT 5.1.2600, for example (I don't remember exactly but 2600 build was AFAIK for OEM XP versions without service pack). Most of them are too lazy to remember it. So I look for a numbering system that would reflect the actual state of the things but looked not so complicated, so any dotless, slashless and dashless system would suit. Moreover, 4-digit system is also proven to be handy as everyone can easily remember Nokia cellphone model numbers. ;) Any more suggestions?

--- Quote ---There are numerous comments about which app is best for browsing, playing music, etc., so you'll need clearly defined criteria like "supports flash, plays mp3 files, memory usage, stability" which can be quantified. For example, flash support means more web sites work, but the browser could crash. Chromium might use more memory (no idea, really) but it's more stable. Identify these criteria, the various solutions, the tradeoffs, and how important they are to your target audience. It's called a QFD (Quality Functional Deployment).

--- End quote ---
I support the idea. The criteria priority now is: (from highest to lowest)
1. Stability (with different hardware).
2. Usability (convenience, design, operating speed).
3. Up to date versions.
4. Functionality.
5. Resource usage.

I think this priority guideline would help choosing the alternatives when doing some contribution to the project.

--- Quote from: Guy on November 04, 2010, 07:02:09 PM ---Just my opinion.
The name Cassandra does not sound like an ideal name for a Linux distro.
I have not thought of a better one.
Why not get the suggestions of others. See who can suggest the best name.

--- End quote ---
Of course, for the current stage, Cassandra is rather a project codename than a finally fixed title. The first idea (after the UltimateTC) was Sulphur but I found out that some Fedora release already had such a codename. I decided to choose the current name Cassandra because it would be the name embodying the beauty of the distro look and the perfection of its base architecture, while giving everyone the sign that this is the architecture of the future.
Any other suggestions are welcome, though. While the community base of the project and users amount aren't that large it doesn't matter in fact, and sometimes we can run a great vote but for now, I'd suggest to concern on more important things. :)

P.S. The 3200 build (according to the current version numbering) is going to be tested tomorrow on a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad where any Ubuntu version just refuses to run X due to an unknown issue. The Thinkpad is not mine so possibly it will be the first Cassandra fieldtest on a non-common (as far as I see) hardware.

roberts:
OK. I think we have all made our respective points of view known.
I have let this go on long enough and no one was censured.
It is now becoming off topic, not about Tiny Core but about a remix.

This topic is not going to become free forum hosting for a remix as per our forurm rules.
If you wish to announce your remix and if it meets the GPL requirements then...

As per forum rules we have established an appropriate topic.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?board=43.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version