WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Opera Update  (Read 19992 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Opera Update
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »
I reckon that similar to firefox.tcz, minefield.tcz and opera.tcz could be the latest stable versions.  While the older ones would be named minefield4.tcz and such. 

But since there would be minefields with the major version number in their name, it still may result in some confusion.  It would require changing the build script and creating the extension with a version name in it when it is moved to the previous release.

It is doable, and I like the version numbers to differentiate between custom firefox version instead of using the release codes like namoroka, shiretoko, etc, which makes it hard for new users to find and keep up with the latest custom firefox.

Since opera.tcz and minefield.tcz are Curaga's, I would like to see what he thinks on it.  I am ok either way, with our current path or with making opera.tcz/minefield.tcz the current release.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
I'm fine with that. What should minefield be renamed to though? Aren't there other 3.n firefoxes around?

edit: opera.tcz renamed to opera9.tcz.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:31:24 PM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 04:48:23 AM »
I guess minefield3.tcz would do, as the other existing 3.x is called granparadiso.

The bad thing I see with doing this with minefield is it would take a rebuild and a renaming of internal files like icons and .desktop to move a version from minefield.tcz to minefield(ver#).tcz. 

If a newcomer types either firefox or minefield into appbrowser, they will see a list of minefields and the highest version number would seem like the obvious choice.  Upon further thought, I lean towards keeping major version numbers in the names to save a lot of work over the long run. I will think some more on it.

Offline hiro

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 05:04:29 AM »
I just looked up minefield's .info and mozilla's minefield description and since both say something else I'm now unsure about what minefield actually is and whether I should want to use this or the normal firefox.tcz instead.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 06:26:36 AM »
Yeah, we could just name all multiple-versions extensions with the major version, it would be clear too.

@hiro: Mozilla considers it beta builds, but it's the default unofficial branding in releases too.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »
nice to watch the discussion; in the mean time my opera12 does its job for me;

this is because (both in tc 3.8rc1 and tc 3.8rc3) the appbrowser shows (right after connect, in the left panel) only opera9.tcz, opera10.tcz, opera9-locale.tcz, opera10-locale.tcz, but no opera11*

if I enter "opera" (without quotes) or "opera11" and push the Search button, then nothing shows; Only when I type "opera11" (who to tell me this name?) and push Provides button, then opera11.tcz and opera11_locale.tcz show in left panel; hmmm; not a pleasure to hunt like this;

plus now even when opera11* are temporary listed in left panel, click on opera9* and opera11* does not show anything, only opera10* show the info/files/dep/size
initialy, just after connect, both oper9* and oper10* show all info correctly;
/opt/tcemirror has http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/

you are welcome to move this message to appbrowser bug topic if you think is not a misconfiguration on web server;
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:50:06 PM by nick65go »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »
Both opera 11 extensions are missing their .info files.
AppBowser uses a master list based on .info files.
It is mandatory for extension submissions to include the .info.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:28:05 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:19 AM »
opera11.tcz is also does not display the EULA one has to agree before running opera. 

There was a miscommunication in the gmail thread that resulted in the broken extension being uploaded.  I normally allow the uploader and the extension maker a chance to respond to issues, but since there has not been a response to the several mentions here in the forum about the missing info file, I will remove the extension pending a corrected one.  Mainly due to it's not adhering to license requirements - the display of the EULA - but also awaiting an info file.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »
until someone will find few minutes (or hours, days?) to update the opera##.tcz to ver 11-12, my opera-next.tcz could temporary lives in repository (easy to delete later) as an intermediate solution; btw, it shows EULA on 1-st time use  ::)
I do not wish to push things, but for me an imperfect solution is better than a non existing one;
Nobody can guaranty that an tcz extension will be updated further by the original owner;
history is full of samples that sheet happens, but if it is so easy to modify/create it (as this post history suggest) anybody could take over on the fly; you may even not mention my name in the info;

I was just trying to give something back to community, based on principle: first solve a problem, then maybe improve the solution;

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
Especially with the absence of opera11, opera-next will be uploaded.  A current stable opera extension would  be good to see also.  We can later decide on the name of the beta version or if we want to keep a beta around once a recent stable one is uploaded.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize "opera-next" was the actual name of the alpha/beta of opera.  It is the official name, and the extension works nicely, adobe flash and all seamlessly.  Everything is there and is working fine here with my limited testing.

Having this extension does not detract from any of the other operas, and if it is maintained on a reasonable basis, I think it is nice to have.   

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 05:45:54 AM »
Hello

sorry to ask such a a basic question, but

Is there any "Opera" extension from the TCL store that
simply works correctly with the Flash extension from the app store?
(by simply installing both)

I have found the above situation to not be the case. Consequently i have not used Opera.

If the answer is now yes, to the above question, then which Opera extension is it?

thanks

V.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 06:24:51 AM »
If you follow the instructions in the getflash10 info file, it will work with the opera extension

Offline nick65go

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 06:31:19 AM »
@vinceASPECT
did you try the opera-next with only OSS (for sound) and updated flash10 (for video)? i think flash10.tcz is 10.3.181 (if I not extracted it from archlinux). maybe you should run again getflash...

Offline hiro

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »
Is opera-next not dependent on gtk or qt? How does this work?