WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Beyond core - resolving compatibility issues in modular architecture  (Read 3934 times)

Offline tclfan

Re: Beyond core - resolving compatibility issues in modular architecture
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »
Seems tclfan's original post was premature. Apparently out of frustration from trying to use a custom (unofficial, i.e., not supported by Team Tiny Core) remastering script.
I want to confirm that roberts is right (as always), that my post was triggered by frustration with desktop freezing often, WM's menues not working, apps not starting, etc...
I apologize that from the lack of abundance of time my testing was not methodically organized, testing script and results not documented in order to isolate issues and pinpoint what was the primary cause of incompatibility in each case. One was previously documented that Hackedbox corrupts Wbar.
As soon as time permits I will try to re-do this, isolate the issues and document better with exact script of test steps.  I have also felling that most of freezing and disabled WM menues could have been related to on-demand ezmaster, pointed out by roberts as unsupported.

I do not see the original post as generally negative but on the contrary: The rock solid stability of the tiny core should not quickly disappear in user's practice when adding apps to make such core useful. E.g. I do not see most users completely happy with the default WM, so changing at the minimum to Hackedbox or Openbox should not cause corruption of the (included with core after all) wbar. This is just an example.  Yes, it can be remedied by selecting another combination of WM but...

Also some sort of safeguards would be good to prevent app (such as functionally good program - ezmaster) from effectively (and inadvertantly) disabling WMs and in effect freeze the entire system.
From the user's perspective I do not think one can be completely happy with the havoc in the system as long as the core run by itself is rock solid.

On the other hand I can quote someone 'Apps are just nuisance and detrimental to system's performance'...