WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can I install programs from source if there is no extension?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline docsulo

• How to Influence People
Can I install programs from source if there is no extension?
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:17 AM »
I have three programs that I use continuously throughout the day:

1. Trucrypt - it seems there is an extension for the newest version. 
2. KeepassX - no extension
3. Wikidpad - no extension

Can I install 2 + 3 from source code or do I need to create an extension to install them?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Can I install programs from source if there is no extension?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:36:43 AM »
If you compile from source the app will work until you reboot and then will be lost, so you will need to make an extension if you need to use it more than once.

Offline docsulo

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
Thanks Juanito.  I'll work on making an extension once I can compile something on TCL.

What extensions do I need to do .configure make etc.

I can't seem to get it to work.

Also I've never had to compile Keepassx (it's been available as a PET) so I checked the INSTALL FILE and got this:

Installation instructions for *nix:
-----------------------------------
1. qmake-qt4 / qmake
   You have to use qmake of Qt >= 4.3.0, depending on your distro it is called qmake or qmake-qt4.
   By default KeePassX is installed to /usr, you can change that by adding PREFIX=[PATH] to the qmake command.
   You can also add DEBUG=1 to build KeePassX with debug symbols.
2. make
3. make install

===

Not sure which QT4 I should install or how I should use it after it is installed.  Any suggestions?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
To compile you need to load the compiletc meta-extension

I'd guess qmake works the same way as ./configure - you could use the appbrowser "provides" function to check if one of the extension contains qmake

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
Not that I've compiled it myself, but here are just some generic comments:

(1) There is a 'qmake' tool in the 'qt-4.x-dev.tcz' extension, which you'll probably need for the compilation. As this extension contains also the 'compiletc.tcz' extension in it's dependencies it might be the only one you need to install (e.g. via tce-load -wi qt-4.x-dev)

(2) Make sure to use 'PREFIX=/usr/local' to be compatible with the TC default.

(3) To work out a (mininal) set of dependencies for your 'KeepassX' extension I'd suggest to check for all executables (and share libraries) with 'ldd' and note down which shared libraries (beyond the Core) are needed (e.g. via ldd /usr/local/bin/keepassx | grep '/usr/local'). Having seen the dependencies of 'qt-4.x-base.tcz' my hunch is that it might be the only one required, as it (recursivly) "drags in" quite a few more.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
(3) To work out a (mininal) set of dependencies for your 'KeepassX' extension I'd suggest to check for all executables (and share libraries) with 'ldd' and note down which shared libraries (beyond the Core) are needed (e.g. via ldd /usr/local/bin/keepassx | grep '/usr/local'). Having seen the dependencies of 'qt-4.x-base.tcz' my hunch is that it might be the only one required, as it (recursivly) "drags in" quite a few more.

In this very case the .dep list of the keepassx.tcz extension in 2.x repo might help as an approximate indication.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:18:10 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline maro

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »
In this very case the .dep list of the keepassx.tcz extension in 2.x repo might help as an approxymate indication.

NACK

As 'keepassx.tcz.dep' in the 2.x repository contains:
    ' Xlibs_support' which is not in TC 3.x (well, it's replacement would be 'Xorg-7.5-lib'),
    'qt-4.5-base', which has been replaced by 'qt-4.x-base',
    and the other two extentions are now indirect dependencies
All that indicates to me that this particualr .dep file predates the introduction of recursive dependencies. Therefore it's not an ideal base to guide on towards a "proper" dependency file. And with "proper" I mean to include all what's really required and no redundant entries.

Offline docsulo

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »
Thanks for the help Maro.

Can't quite figure out how to use Qmake but I'll keep at it.   I can't open any of my folders without using Keepassx so I'm forced to figure it out.

According to the Keepassx website the dependencies are as follows...

Minimum requirements for KeePassX v0.3.1 and higher:

Build Dependencies

Qt library >= 4.3
(required modules: QtCore, QtGui, QtXml)
libXtst
Application bundle

X11 with XRandR, Xinerama and XTest extentions
GLibC 2.4