WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Kernel 2.6.35+?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline piete

Kernel 2.6.35+?
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
Hi! Do you have an estimate when you will take on a newer kernel?

I'm waiting for KMS to be able to use radeon power management, then TC will be the ultimate distro that won't cook even in my radeon notebooks.  8)

I know I could already compile a newer kernel but unfortunately I don't have time (=kids) to mess around with it, since I don't know how straightforward it is to include KMS modules etc. Of course those modules may not be included even with a newer kernel since they must increase the size of the whole package, but at least there will be fewer obstacles for me to tackle with my limited free time.

My ultimate goal is to get a power-frugal working distro, even Arch linux has too much stuff by default to have a low power consumption. So after TC with KMS power management, I must be close to the lowest consumption I can get with linux... (please correct if my assumption is wrong)

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Kernel 2.6.35+?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:29:45 PM »
Inclusion in an official release will likely not happen in the current 3.x series.  It would likely come in the future in the form of 4.x

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »
Radeon KMS is available in the graphics-* extension. OTOH following the news, .35 does not have all the power management even for older cards, fixes tend to trickle in still and Evergreen PM support is only in later kernels.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline piete

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:33:13 AM »
Forgot to mention that I have an R500 GPU, which has sufficient PM support in 2.6.35 (but not in 2.6.33). At least it keeps the temperatures and the fan at the same level as  the proprietary driver (which ceased to be an option after January 2009 with kernel 2.6.28 that leaves the venerable Debian Lenny as my main distro atm). In power consumption Windows beats my best result with Lenny by 13W against 21W.