WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: T.C.6.0 extension problems  (Read 9289 times)

Offline beerstein

Re: T.C.6.0 extension problems
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 05:28:12 AM »
thank you coreplayer2 and the other members who helped me. I downloaded the libiconv.tcz from the 5.x repo and copied it in to /tce/optional. I also added it to onboot.lst.
Now VLC works.
My CorePlus 6.0 runs on an 2GB SD card via a SATA to SD card adaptor. It is lightning fast and: VLC, Alsamixer, Firefox 21.0, Leafpad, pcmanfm, openssh, mc, gparted and evince work great now. (Youtube also works great)
 Who is going to fix the dependency problems in repo? I do not know how o do it.

t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline nitram

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:14 PM »
Tiny Core v6 installs/runs well.

Problems:
-wicd install error:
     --Apps reports failed
     --terminal output:
          ---wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
          ---md5sum: wpa_supplicant-dbus.tcz.mdf.txt: No such file or directory
          ---Error on wpa_supplicant-dbus.tcz
     --according to Apps, wpa_supplicant-dbus is not in the repository

-lxterminal installs but does not run (error loading shared library libffi.so.5 message)

Offline nitram

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »
Apps also failed when attempting to install OSS (didn't have time to troubleshoot via terminal).

TIA to the Tiny Core community and any specific assistance with these issues.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
          ---wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
          ---md5sum: wpa_supplicant-dbus.tcz.mdf.txt: No such file or directory
Could you try the version of wpa_supplicant-dbus from the 5.x repo and report if it works please?

-lxterminal installs but does not run (error loading shared library libffi.so.5 message)
The libffi5 extension can be used until the mainainer updates the extension

Apps also failed when attempting to install OSS (didn't have time to troubleshoot via terminal).
the oss-modules-KERNEL extensions are waiting on a volunteer to compile them and submit an extension. Did you try with alsa instead?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:38:09 AM by Juanito »

Offline nitram

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
Thanks for your help Juanito.

Regarding the wicd install error, i downloaded and installed wpa_supplicant-dbus from this Tiny Core v5 ftp repository but the wicd install still failed: http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/tinycorelinux/5.x/x86/tcz

Thanks for your help with lxterminal. The seperate installation of the libffi5 extension allowed lxterminal to open properly, hopefully the maintainer will be able to address this issue for other users. Should i be attempting to contact the maintainer myself or what is the process?

Sorry i wouldn't know how to compile and maintain OSS myself - otherwise i would be happy to help. I wanted to keep my installation as minimal as possible and was hoping to try OSS. If i want to try Alsa, what are the minimum packages that need to be installed?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 09:46:03 AM »
...but the wicd install still failed
What error messages do you get when you issue the command "wicd" from a terminal window?

Should i be attempting to contact the maintainer myself or what is the process?
Please send the maintainer a pm

If i want to try Alsa, what are the minimum packages that need to be installed?
With modern hardware only the alsa extension (and deps) is usually required.

Offline nitram

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
Thanks again for your help.

PM was sent to the lxterminal maintainer.

Manually downloading and installing wpa_supplicant-dbus.tcz plus the md5.txt from Tiny Core v5 appears to have worked. I will reboot, test and confirm.

Thanks for the Alsa information, i will attempt to install and also report back the results.

Offline nitram

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »
Got sound working by installing alsa.tcz and alsa-config.tc - too bad OSS is presently broken.

Am unable to get wicd running on tc-6. For sure issues related to dependency libraries, including:
- wpa_supplicant-dbus (not present in tc-6 repository)
- openssl (believe wrong version in repository for wicd)

Maybe other issues regarding wicd on tc-6, one of them being i'm new to Tiny Core. I probably should have installed tc-5 first, as it's probably much more tested, for my initial learning curve. As i'm presently testing an older netbook, also probably should have installed CorePlus. May start from scratch again to retest wireless.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »
Note that you can use the (much lighter) wifi extension instead of wicd.

Offline thane

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
FWIW, I was able to get a couple of 6.0 extensions I was having problems with to work by manually changing their dep files to match what was in the 6.0 repository (bit of a guess based on names), and then getting those missing dependencies. Wouldn't work of course if what is needed is a recompile...

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »
being i'm new to Tiny Core. I probably should have installed tc-5 first, as it's probably much more tested, for my initial learning curve. As i'm presently testing an older netbook, also probably should have installed CorePlus.
I second that, it is quite a different distro to the majority of Linux.
I started out with 5.4 CorePlus before attempting to 'upgrade' to 6.0, which didn't go well for me as a newbie to TC.
So I 'installed' 6.0 CorePlus which works really well, the only problem is that some of the extensions (still) need to be updated.
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »

PM was sent to the lxterminal maintainer.

lxterminal updated
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline nitram

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:49 PM »
Thanks all for the help and feedback. Toughed it out with my hacked install, cleaned up packages and onboot.list, learned how to use Apps and had to blacklist some wifi modules. Downloaded the CorePlus package so i could strip it for parts (wifi related extensions)!

Re-installed lxterminal from scratch and everything now works as expected - thanks bmarkus.

Gave up up wicd - too many dependency issues, but did gmail the wicd wpa_supplicant-dbus.tcz maintainer. If no response in a week i will ask the forum if anyone is willing to maintain this package for tc-6.

Ended up installing wifi. Thanks for the tips, very lightweight. Glad to have internet working as the Apps info pages don't work without a connection. Still used to Debian manpages - feel kinda lost working on the system but learning.

Praises and observations (not criticisms) from a new TC user with moderate Linux experience:
- TC is the real deal, not a toy distribution
- TC is quite revolutionary and very refreshing
- TC is how computing should be...lean and mean
- The Into TC pdf manual does not have one mention of wireless
- Section IV of the manual presents several use cases but none are related to setting up a wireless laptop, wouldn't this be a common use case?
- Many wiki pages are outdated, confusing new users trying to figure things out
- New users should use the previous old version first (eg. tc-5 vs 6), as the core system and extensions would have been better tested and maintained
- Searching previous forum posts is very helpful
- The community is very helpful and responsive - i really appreciate that - thanks again
- TC forces you to re-activate your Linux brain (in a good way)
- TC is both simplistic and complex, often at the same time!
- Once you understand how it works, TC really makes you feel in tune with your computer
- Debian minimal install has nothing on Tiny Core
- Puppy Linux has a lot of unnecessary cruft

Thanks again for all the help.

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 02:32:11 AM »
As of yesterday - vlc & xine still have a dependancy on libiconv & won't run.
AMD, ARM, & Intel.