WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: anyone running tc3.1 on recent qemu on win xp??  (Read 1750 times)

Offline jhancock

anyone running tc3.1 on recent qemu on win xp??
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »
I've managed to get tinycore 3.1 booting on qemu 0.12.5.  Its a bit quirky though.  Since I'm no qemu expert and new to tc, I thought someone here might be able to present some startup tweaks for this.

I'm looking to run tc as a kiosk browser appliance with firefox or chrome started by default and nothing else available.  So once I get something very stable, it'll boot from usb bare metal.  But for dev, I really need to run on win XP.  I can use qemu or virtualbox.  I've tried both and they seem about the same from early trials...which is to say tc runs a bit flaky at least for mouse movement.

thanks, Jon

Offline maro

Re: anyone running tc3.1 on recent qemu on win xp??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
Well, apart from using VBox I'm also a very regular user of QEMU (again on XP, but also from Linux systems). If I just want to look up something in the base of a running TC system nothing beats qemu -cdrom tinycore_3.1.iso for ease and speed. OK, to be honest I've got batch files depending on whether I want to use KQEMU (which I do most of the time) or not. Due to the fact that I operate mostly older systems with CPUs which would not support KVM (which is anyway not on option on XP) I tend to use the old QEMU version 0.11.1 quite a bit, as it was the last one supporting KQEMU. OTOH, for some comparisons I've got the newer version 0.12.5 equally available. One point to remember is that the newer version of 'qemu-img' have fewer bugs, in particular if it comes to playing with non-native disk formats (e.g. vdi, vhd, vmdk, ...)

Now to get at least a little bit back to your question I'm not sure what your plans are, but for me to reasonably quickly undertake some tests where I don't plan to keep the result, I clearly prefer QEMU. But when the execution speed is critical I tend to go with VBox. It takes less time using just the keyboard (even considering that I'm a very slow typist) than all the time changing between keyboard and mouse (and I believe I know quite a few keyboard codes for VBox).

So for example I could create a blank hard disk image (e.g. via qemu-img create disk_50M.img 50M) and since I've extracted the kernel and the initrd file from the ISO image I can use qemu -kernel bzImage -initrd tinycore.gz -hda disk_50M.img -append "text syslog" (remember that's all just an example). The advantage of this is that I can more quickly adjust the boot codes at the next re-boot, until I have the preferred solution. This is something that VBox can't do, even so I've seen people asking for it.

Since I've done these kind of things now quite a few times, I'm happy to do the partitioning and formatting of a (blank) hard disk using only sudo fdisk /dev/hda and sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/hda1 So to get ready to download extensions I just need to do sudo rebuildfstab ; tce-setdrive (and pick the correct device). So within lets say 2-3 minutes or so I've got a "fresh" test setup into which I can download extensions (some of which I have on a private TCZ mirror).

For sure I can achieve basically the same with VBox which is probably still a little bit faster than a QEMU 0.11.1 + KQEMU combination, and noticably faster than QEMU 0.12.5 under XP due to the lack of KVM. It's just depends what I'm planning to do, when starting a VM.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you mean with "flaky", apart from the mouse issue I've already commented on in the other thread. In my view both VM work quite well for testing things out when it comes to TC. If one does not need the other "goodies" like better support of USB devices that the PUEL version of VBox has to offer it's somewhat amazing what QEMU can do (which I can fit in a 2 MBytes zip-file) compared to the 75 MBytes "heavy-weight" in the other corner. That aspect was one of the reasons why I gave up on VMware products, the bloat of these applications is just beyond me.

Offline smultita

• EmbLin
Re: anyone running tc3.1 on recent qemu on win xp??
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:36:13 AM »
I'm also running tinycore on qemu in windows for some development and testing

For kiosk you may also use the
 Full Fullscreen Add-on for Firefox
 mplayer plug-in   http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/

I start using
qemu.exe -m 128 -kernel bzImage -initrd tinycore.gz -hda harddisk.img -append"tce=hda1"

use www.winimage.com to explore the qemu virtual harddisk.img fat formated
An empty FAT formated 250MB haddisk.img and some instructions in the readme.txt
can be downloaded from
http://home.scarlet.be/wobbel/tinycore_qemu_win.zip

Have fun,
Luc