Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Inconsequent TERM variable setting

<< < (2/3) > >>

gerald_clark:
midnight commander definitely does not display correctly in console with TERM=rxvt.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: gerald_clark on September 13, 2010, 08:41:17 AM ---midnight commander definitely does not display correctly in console with TERM=rxvt.

--- End quote ---

Details please. In which terminal emulator, LANG setting, fonts, TC or MC, which version? Screenshot would be appreciated.

Jason W:
TERM=linux  while in the console is pretty standard and well documented.  I don't think there will be much consensus to change that variable for the console. 

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: Jason W on September 13, 2010, 09:02:24 AM ---TERM=linux  while in the console is pretty standard and well documented.  I don't think there will be much consensus to change that variable for the console.  

--- End quote ---

I never told TERM=linux is wrong. What I told system is inconsequent. Lets use rxvt or linux, both are good. Anyhow, you can mix up as you wish. xterm would be alse as good as other two, like in REDHAT/CentOS. There is always a solution. A bit more code, a bit more wasted time to fix. :(

Jason W:
I notice Debian uses linux for the console, the TERM variable is rxvt when running rxvt, xterm when running xterm, and so on.

But I didn't notice what it is set to in Debian when launching a program in X from a menu.  Of course, Debian is just being used as an example and not a must-have rule.

I am curious, and will look and see when I get in tonight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version