WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: JWM Missing Start/Menu Button  (Read 3943 times)

Offline SamK

JWM Missing Start/Menu Button
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:33 AM »
I'm just beginning to explore a few of the alternative window managers in TC3.  JWM has been installed, listed in OnBoot and loads at start-up.

At the left-hand side of the panel one normally expects to see a Start or Menu button - this is missing.

The panel appears at the top of the screen - how does one make it appear at the bottom?

Is there a guide for using JWM in TC3?

Offline tinypoodle

Re: JWM Missing Start/Menu Button
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 02:34:29 AM »
http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml

To modify tray edit /home/tc/.jwmrc-tray.

Hint: It might be more easy to edit XML files using geany for syntax highlighting and to set filetype to XML (Alt+D->T->M)

For menu: Alt+F1

Personally i added
Code: [Select]
<Key key="F12">root:1</Key> to /home/tc/.jwmrc-keys to get the menu with a single keystroke  ;D

BTW, I'd recommend to also try jwm-snapshot, more functionality and more eye candy at same time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:07:09 AM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:03:26 AM »
To modify tray edit /home/tc/.jwmrc-tray.

For menu: Alt+F1

Personally i added
Code: [Select]
<Key key="F12">root:1</Key> to /home/tc/.jwmrc-keys to get the menu with a single keystroke  ;D

BTW, I'd recommend to also try jwm-snapshot, more functionality and more eye candy at same time.
Does this mean that the standard JWM installation in TC3 comes without a Start/Menu button?  From a very distant memory I recall one being available in other distros by default.

Do you know of a guide to using the commands available for .jwmrc-tray? (It is years since I briefly used JWM)  Also, moving the panel to the bottom of the screen?

I will have a look at  jwm-snapshot as I have not used it previously.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:13:52 AM »
Edited my last post with more info.

I remember having always removed said button in other distros, to gain space  :P
I made certain modifications in TC to squeeze out space as well  ;D
Buttons can be added and position of tray can be changed by editing mentioned file.

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline SamK

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 03:23:28 AM »
Buttons can be added and position of tray can be changed by editing mentioned file.
Yes - between posts I figured out how to adjust the placement vertically on the screen.  Now on to the button...

This may yet turn out to be of academic interest only.  My preference on systems with sufficient RAM is LXDE/Openbox but as the TC maintainer is no longer around it may not be a good longer term choice.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:40:47 AM »
<TrayButton icon="/usr/share/tc/logo.png">root:1</TrayButton>

icon= could be replaced by label=

Offline SamK

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
<TrayButton icon="/usr/share/tc/logo.png">root:1</TrayButton>

icon= could be replaced by label=
I also found this answer independently - when I returned to update the thread you had already done so.  Still it is good to learn.

One small point, on TC3 if using the icon variant it would be:
<TrayButton icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/logo.png">root:1</TrayButton>
that is added to /home/tc/.jwmrc-tray.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:28:11 AM »
That was just an example, you could use any image of any format supported by jwm (not quite sure which), or you could e.g. label="M" instead.

Edit: Looks like support for png and xpm is compiled in.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:08:42 AM by tinypoodle »

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
As you no doubt know by now, there's a lot that can be done with JWM by editing .jwmrc-tray.  I set it to limit the width of the application boxes displayed in the tray, gave it a "start" button with a custom menu distinct from the right-click menu (complete with sub-menus) and (since I'm not too concerned about tray real estate) I had it "swallow" the mount tool.

The joewing.net web site provides loads of useful information on JWM.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar