WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "Old" TCE packages  (Read 3758 times)

Offline ACRizona

"Old" TCE packages
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:59:14 PM »
Now that we are up on tiny-micro-core 3.0 I find that curlftpfs is for 2.0 only.

I guess that means it is "old" and will not run with 3.0. 
Am I correct in assuming this ?   I could not find any info about these 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 divisions ???
Can the old apps be re-built or something ? 

Offline maro

Re: "Old" TCE packages
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »
It is probably rather unlikely to find an extension that would work accross TC 2.x  and TC 3.x. Well, a 'script-ony' extension might do so, but the significant difference between TC 2.x  and TC 3.x is the kernel version and the fact that the majority of the Core libraries have been updated.

Your best bet is to try to encourage the original submitter (i.e. Xianwen Chen in this case) to re-build for TC 3.x. Why not send out a PM?

Offline ACRizona

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »
PM ???  as in Personal Message ???  How ???

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »
This forum here has this functionality: have a look towards the top of this current page. There you should find a link to MY MESSAGES, and I guess I don't have to explain how a web-based message system works ...

Offline andy_jp

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
It is my understanding that quite a few of the applications in the 3.x repository were compiled in 2.x, hence all of the "I'll try recompiling it in 3.x" responses to messages regarding various issues. Dillo 2.1.1, for example, appears to have been compiled against the 2.6.0 kernel; I'm not sure which version of Tiny Core was based on this kernel, if it (Dillo) was compiled in Tiny Core at all. It's also worth noting that something compiled with a version of GCC available in the 2.x repository won't necessarily compile easily with the versions available in the 3.x repository (amongst many other issues).

Please feel free to correct me if anything I've written is incorrect.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 03:25:57 PM »
The gtk Mplayers were built on TC 1.x, and Xine-xvesa likely was too, and xmms certainly was.  Most non kernel related stuff built on earlier TC versions should work, but the ideal is to be built on the current version.   And a bit of those now in the repo were built on 2.x.  But they are slowly being replaced by rebuilds on the current TC version.  

Of course, the menu and icon supporting files of extensions from earlier TC versions had to be converted to the current standard.

There are also other factors like the versions of dependencies an app uses, like python, that must be taken into consideration.  So yes, apps built on older TC versions are often compatible with the current, but no, it is not recommended to pick and choose apps from older repos and plug them in to a current setup and expect them to work.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:33:36 PM by Jason W »

Offline andy_jp

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
If I gave the impression that I was encouraging maintainers to submit applications or libraries which were compiled in anything other than 3.x to the 3.x repository, or encouraging end users to use extensions/packages from the repository of a different version/distribution, I apologise. My post was in response to maro's, and I was simply trying to point out that it's not that unusual for something compiled in 2.x to work in 3.x.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »
There may be already a thread on that extension that you can reply to.

Dillo 2.1.1, for example, appears to have been compiled against the 2.6.0 kernel
Slightly OT: dillo compiles against the kernel?

Offline andy_jp

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:37:40 PM »
Aww, and I was just starting to think that it looked like I knew what I was talking about.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:31 PM »
It's all good, I was just stating that stuff compiled in 1.x or 2.x would work in 3.x as long as the menu/icon stuff was dealt with and there were no different dependency requirements that were not met in the latest version.  As well as the package format was tcz with 4096 block size, among a few other things that have changed.

That is kind of disclaimer for folks cherry-picking things from 1.x and 2.x and then stating they will not run properly on 3.x.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:31:40 PM by Jason W »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:45:20 AM »
Dillo 2.1.1, for example, appears to have been compiled against the 2.6.0 kernel
Slightly OT: dillo compiles against the kernel?
Speculating that reference is meant to something like it appears in following (random) example:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ file /usr/bin/stats   
/usr/bin/stats: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
for != against
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline ACRizona

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »
I PM'd the original submitter.
Good news  :)
curlftpfs will be updated later next week.

Great time saver, very handy, especially in peer-to-peer LAN.