General TC > Programming & Scripting - Unofficial

Idea for exittc (shutdown program) - add in checkbox to show backup status

(1/4) > >>

ixbrian:
If you do a backup while shutting down Tiny Core, the backup seems to take forever because there is no indication of what is going on.   From a user perspective standpoint, I think the backup at shutdown seems to go faster if you can see a list of files that are being backed up.   Plus, if you can see the list of files being backed up, you can easily identify large files that are slowing down the backup. 

I have made some minor modifications to exittc.fl so that there is a checkbox that the user can select if they would like a terminal to pop open during the backup at shutdown so that they can watch the progress.   

The updated exittc.fl is attached to this message.

Thanks,
Brian

tinypoodle:
Would it be easy to have such a feature for backup even when not done upon shutdown?

ixbrian:

--- Quote from: tinypoodle on August 21, 2010, 10:54:04 PM ---Would it be easy to have such a feature for backup even when not done upon shutdown?

--- End quote ---

Yes it would.   If this is something that would be accepted, I can update the filetool app to also include a check box that would pop open a terminal to display the backup/restore status.   

Brian

TaoTePuh:

--- Quote ---Plus, if you can see the list of files being backed up, you can easily identify large files that are slowing down the backup.
--- End quote ---

To get a list of files in your backup sorted by size this can perhaps be helpful :

--- Code: ---tar tvzf $(cat /opt/.tce_dir)/mydata.tgz | sort -n +2 -3
--- End code ---

tinypoodle:

--- Code: ---tar: can't open '/tmp/tce/mydata.tgz': No such file or directory

--- End code ---
I think that would be defining location of backup by location of extensions which in default mode (as here the case) is /tmp/tce/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version