Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

how to install from local repository and make extension permanent after reboot

<< < (2/2)

tinypoodle:

--- Quote from: TaoTePuh on August 21, 2010, 02:58:34 AM ---Attention!

The directory tce also contains the backup file mydata.tgz.

--- End quote ---
Only so in a very particular scenario, not in general.
Same applies for dynamically remastered personal initrd's.

BTW, using same mydata.gz on more than one box works fine for me, only having to adapt hardware related files each time, e.g. ~/.xsession, /etc/asound.state

--- Quote ---Moreover, this solution will not work if you have to load special things for the machine (like firmware) via onboot.lst cause this file is also part of the tce-dir. This you will have to subsequently re-edited onboot.lst manually.

--- End quote ---
I can't understand what you mean, could you elaborate?

--- Quote ---I would simply copy the directory tce/optional with a USB stick or network share and then adjust the file onboot.lst

--- End quote ---
To avoid having to setup network shares, a very simple way would be to run tc-terminal-server, symlink tarfile to be transferred  to /netboot/ and then get it by tftp. Or if ssh is set up, scp could be used also.

TaoTePuh:

--- Quote ---
--- Quote ---Moreover, this solution will not work if you have to load special things for the machine (like firmware) via onboot.lst cause this file is also part of the tce-dir. This you will have to subsequently re-edited onboot.lst manually.
--- End quote ---
I can't understand what you mean, could you elaborate?

--- End quote ---

The reason for this is certainly my bad English.

I have different Note- and Netbooks in use with tc. Each of these devices is different. This one needs special firmware for WiFi, the other for Display (Xorg), the third for the network card etc ...

For this reason, each onboot.lst is machine-specific (at least in my case).

tinypoodle:
Oh I see what you mean now, and besides from firmware this could include drivers or other hardware specific  files as well (e.g. 915resolution).
But i don't think thatt's a biggie, I wouldn't know of any case where such needs to be onboot, so it could even be configured after booting, besides from as you mention that a preexisting onboot.lst could be edited as appropriate before booting.

beerstein:
Thank you all so much for your help.
I think the main problem is, that when you do a local install TC "thinks" you want these extensions only
temorary. I need to make a local install while TC thinks it is ibiblio install.
A server via localhost might help?
The problems with individual settings of each machine should not be a problem? Firefox and Leafpad should show up after reboot.

Regards
beerstein

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version