WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I'm trying to compile a kernel with ntfs support but it fails to boot.  (Read 1751 times)

Offline tarruda

First of all let me tell that this is the first time I try to build a custom kernel and that I'm relatively new to linux.
   I have downloaded and extracted linux-2.6.33.3-patched.tbz2, copied config-2.6.33.3-tinycore to .config on the source root then :

make oldconfig(accepted all the defaults)
make menuconfig(added ntfs read/write support)
make bzImage

After the bzImage is ready, I copy it to my bootable usb drive. The problem happens when the system is starting because the system stops responding when scanning for some scsi devices.
  I don't know what could be wrong since when I use the released bzImage eveything works fine. The only thing I found strange was that even without running 'make menuconfig' the bzImage generated is somewhat larger(arround 2.4M) than the released version (2.2M) so I guess that by just running make oldconfig with the defaults won't generate a kernel identical to the one I'm booting.
  I already know ntfs-3g extension but thats not good enough for me since I want to load the tce extensions from a qemu disk image that lives in my usb stick ntfs partition.
  Can someone guide me on what I need to do to create a kernel is exactly the same as the one in 'tinycore-current.iso' with added ntfs support?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: I'm trying to compile a kernel with ntfs support but it fails to boot.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
As noted in the other thread, you can do a remaster to include ntfs-3g in the image.

Also, the in-kernel ntfs write support is practically useless:
"The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
          changing the file length."
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tarruda

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:54:02 AM »
As noted in the other thread, you can do a remaster to include ntfs-3g in the image.

Also, the in-kernel ntfs write support is practically useless:
"The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
          changing the file length."

If I remaster with ntfs support and my usb stick has sdb1(ntfs)  and sdb2(ext3) how would I specify at boot that my tce directory should live in sdb1 ?

With my original bzImage, my current grub.cfg is :

insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,2)'   
linux   /boot/bzImage tce=sdb2 opt=sdb2 home=sdb2 waitusb=5 laptop
initrd   /boot/tinycore.gz
boot

I'm guessing that if I remaster tinycore.gz with ntfs I can just use :

insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,2)'   
linux   /boot/bzImage tce=sdb1/tinycore opt=sdb1/tinycore home=sdb1/tinycore waitusb=5 laptop
boot

Would that be a valid grub.cfg?
  I'm wondering if I can do the following :

insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,2)'   
linux   /boot/bzImage tcvd=sdb1/tinycore/tc.img tce=tcvd opt=tcvd home=tcvd waitusb=5 laptop
boot

Is that okay? If I could do this it would be possible to keep my boot partition sdb1 hidden from windows, and still share my programs with a qemu install in sdb2.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
home and opt are not supported on non-linux fs, so the middle one wouldn't work.
The last one looks ok, though I haven't used a tcvd in a while.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.