WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Has anyone tried something like this Tiny Core setup?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline tarruda

Has anyone tried something like this Tiny Core setup?
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
 Hi,

I'm relatively new  to TinyCore(and to minimalist linux) but I'm loving it so far. My current setup is very standard : usb stick with a 3.8 GB NTFS partition(which is the mount point of my home dir) and a small bootable ext3 partition with grub and TC image/extensions. This is fine because I can use the stick on my university labs(which only got windows machines) but is also limiting because I cannot boot tiny core on them since they have locked extra boot options.
 What I really wanted was a custom setup that lets me boot on TC when possible or use it inside windows using qemu. I have read at qemu site that you can use it to boot a real partition but I highly doubt qemu can see my ext3 bootable partition(on windows).
  Has anyone tried a custom setup where you can share your TC instalation between grub and qemu(under windows) ? If so I appreciate some guidance on the subject since I'm no linux expert. I'd like something that allows me to start TC on windows without having to install anything on the host computer(since I'm not going to have enough privigeles) and to boot it natively using grub.

Offline SamK

Re: Has anyone tried something like this Tiny Core setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:43:16 AM »
..I can use the stick on my university labs(which only got windows machines) but is also limiting because I cannot boot tiny core on them since they have locked extra boot options.
 What I really wanted was a custom setup that lets me boot on TC when possible or use it inside windows using qemu.
...to start TC on windows without having to install anything on the host computer(since I'm not going to have enough privigeles)...
While not addressing the technical aspects of your post I suggest that it might be worth checking the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) at your university.  As "they have locked extra boot options" and as you are "not going to have enough privigeles" it suggests that doing what you propose may breach the AUP and expose you to disciplinary action.  It's better to be safe than sorry and may save a lot of wasted time and effort.

aus9

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »
hi

and following on from Uni rules.....you might like to see if you can install the virtualbox for windows to boot TC in side windows.

(bit AFAIK not a bootable usb drive)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:50:10 AM »
Indeed, Windows can only see the first partition on usb devices. With admin privileges one can hack it to use the internal hd drivers, and so see all partitions, but this doesn't apply here.

Format your first partition as fat32, and place everything TC there. Maybe keep the ext3 as a hidden-from-windows partition.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
Have you looked at using a virtual hd (when using qemu) in conjunction with the tcvd boot option (when native booting)?

Offline tarruda

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »
Have you looked at using a virtual hd (when using qemu) in conjunction with the tcvd boot option (when native booting)?

That might be the solution I need, after a little research I found that I need to recompile the TC kernel for integrated ntfs support so I can place the qemu disk image inside the ntfs partition. Has anyone else done something like this?

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
You don't have to recompile the kernel, both upstream ntfs support and ntfs-3g are available as extensions.  If you need write support, I think ntfs-3g is the way to go.  I believe there are some remaster scripts in the P&S section.

But the simpler, no-nonsense way would be to use some FAT partition to store the virtual hd... unless there is some requirement for ntfs.

Offline tarruda

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 02:59:14 AM »
You don't have to recompile the kernel, both upstream ntfs support and ntfs-3g are available as extensions.  If you need write support, I think ntfs-3g is the way to go.  I believe there are some remaster scripts in the P&S section.

But the simpler, no-nonsense way would be to use some FAT partition to store the virtual hd... unless there is some requirement for ntfs.

If I create my ntfs as fat32 will it work out of box as a valid TinyCore tce dir?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 05:01:39 AM »
If I create my ntfs as fat32 will it work out of box as a valid TinyCore tce dir?

Yes.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.