Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Grub stage of install fails

(1/3) > >>

smilebot:
As I could not complete an install to a USB flash drive, I'm trying to install TC to the hard drive of a ThinkPad. All goes swimmingly, exactly as shown in the instructions, until the TC installation step:

setup (hd0)

Terminal says:

Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists ... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists ... no
Error 2: Bad file or directory type

In fact, a directory listing shows that stage1 does exist where it is supposed to be. I performed the installation procedure twice to make sure I did it right. Same result.

Yes I copied bzImage with a capital I and performed the Step 6 copy of Grub files as instructed. I also tried sudo grub but it makes no difference. grub-0.97-splash.tcz is installed.

I'd appreciate any advice.

gerald_clark:
You forgot the step where you copy the grub files to the boot drive.

smilebot:

--- Quote from: gerald_clark on July 29, 2010, 05:46:04 PM ---You forgot the step where you copy the grub files to the boot drive.
--- End quote ---

I don't think so. The contents of the destination folder /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/ are identical to the contents of the source folder /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/ with the exception of menu.lst which was added to /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/ .

The files stage1, stage2 and stage2_eltorito are present in /mnt/hda1/boot/grub/ .

curaga:
Are you sure you got the right hd number? Tab-complete to be sure.

smilebot:
On a second attempt I succeeded at installing TC.

The difference was: I used Gparted to wipe hda and put in a new partition table. Then I performed the TC installation from the beginning with no change in any parameters.

However, rebuildfstab reported an error. It was necessary to reboot in order to make rebuildfstab work. That step is not in the instructions. Grub setup, which was my original problem, worked this time.

These things make me appreciate installers. Hopefully TC will get an installer.

I used cfdisk to make only one partition. No swap. Will it matter? The computer has 1GB RAM & 60 GB HD. Other than web browsing and text editing, the only resource consumptive thing I may do with it is Audacity audio recording.

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version