WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Linux music/audio applications on TC  (Read 6094 times)

Offline mikshaw

Re: Linux music/audio applications on TC
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »
No, not gimp.  I wasn't clear enough....it was mainly audio apps that I was talking about.  A lot of them already use Qt.  It's quite possible that the popularity of studio apps like Rosegarden and Hydrogen may nudge future projects to stick with that same flavor.

Then again, I may be totally mistaken.  With the current popularity of Ubuntu, Gnome and Gtk have seen a rise in use.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:38 AM »
it was mainly audio apps that I was talking about.  A lot of them already use Qt.

if you look at as project like lmms, i don't know how you could do something like that without qt. i'm thinking of the bars that represent sound effects... i suppose in gtk (where i'm not certain, but i think you'd be restricted to one color for "3d effects, and it's a color that gtk_prefs would control instead of the application's author...") you could have 3d buttons for the "bars" and give each one a solid color "face" (think of css, which doesn't let you change a 3d button itself, but it lets you change the color of each side) to distinguish it from other bars.

in other words you can have purple 3d bars and red 3d bars and blue 3d bars in qt, or gray bars with a red 3d rectangle, gray with a purple rectangle, gray with a blue rectangle, but you can't actually have different colored 3d bars in gtk in the same app.

not that you have to use 3d bars. you could just use flat rectangles for each effect. but what i'd really like to see is a "meta kit" for gui projects that wraps gtk, qt, and gnome. if you built an app for this kit, it wouldn't translate every qt feature to gtk, but if you used the features of meta kit, you would only use the features of meta kit.

the features would range from gtk features (and gtk compromises of qt) to qt features, but no matter what you built, it could be rebuilt automatically as using only gtk or as using only qt (or only gnome...) just by changing the compile options. then a project like 'k3b" (or perhaps, m3b) would be a project that you could compile for gtk or qt or gnome, it would be a sort of universal wrapper tool kit- for the coders that wanted their apps to be that flexible. you could even optimize by having several wrappers, and which one you used depended on which toolkit you're compiling for.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 01:53:52 PM »
if you look at as project like lmms
Wow!  I just looked at the screenshots for the first time (never heard of it before), and it looks a lot like fruityloops!  I'm definitely going to check that program out.  My hardware doesn't currently meet ther recommendations, but should be enough to at least see how it works.

i don't know how you could do something like that without qt.
I just asumed they were made with bitmaps

what i'd really like to see is a "meta kit" for gui projects that wraps gtk, qt, and gnome. if you built an app for this kit, it wouldn't translate every qt feature to gtk, but if you used the features of meta kit, you would only use the features of meta kit.
That sounds like a cool idea.  I know some Gtk apps that you can choose to compile either for Gtk 1 or 2.  I imagine it would take a lot more code, but it seems like it would be possible to extend that behavior to apply to other toolkits.
Then again, I also like the way some apps are just commandline, with the gui a separate program or programs so the user can choose the toolkit that way. cdrecord, for example, has a number of guis built using various toolkits.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »
I also like the way some apps are just commandline, with the gui a separate program or programs so the user can choose the toolkit that way. cdrecord, for example, has a number of guis built using various toolkits.

two things to say about that, is that yes, it's usually better to design tools to interface easily with a gui so that the app can be built for the commandline, and other people can build nice gui's. as i'm sure you've noticed this is typical design in linux, but just imagine if it was more universal... a mozilla-class browser that let you use text mode or xul? (or gtk, like kazehakase...) the other thing is that a project like meta tool kit could have a "text user interface" option that gave you ncurses as an option- over gtk.

Offline hiro

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 03:00:28 AM »
so, whats going on now? ive solved the rt issues for nonroot users with the small app set rlimits. im usinng the standard kernel with jack-ffado and qsynth and i got 2ms of latency if i remember correctly. im sure that 1ms created xruns here though, so i might have to try out a realtime kernel some day...