Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Technical question about running headless

(1/1)

BobStewart:
Hello everyone,

I am working on a project that requires the kernel (and application) to run in a completely headless environment.  And by headless, I really mean headless, no video, keyboard or serial comm circuitry or hardware even present on the target board.

Will the default pre-built kernel even work in that environment, or will it panic if it can't find and console HW?  If it would panic, can a custom kernel be created that would work?

Thanks much!

gerald_clark:
How do you expect to boot/configure/troubleshoot?
Put it on your boot media, and try it.

BobStewart:
I plan on doing the development on a different machine than the target platform and moving a pregenerated flash disk over to the target platform upon release.  Development is no big deal and my questions were not asking how to do that.  Only if the generic kernel can come up in a hardware wise headless environment, and if not, will the creation of a custom kernel solve the problem.

curaga:
It should just ignore it gracefully. YMMV

BobStewart:
Thanks much curaga!  That is good news.  Once I get the real hardware from the fab house I will post the results and let other people know if it works or not using the stock released kernel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version