WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Booting 2.11.5 from cd on old Satellite A60  (Read 2142 times)

Offline tina

Booting 2.11.5 from cd on old Satellite A60
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »
Hi everyone thanks for the look,

For background I'm only somewhat familiar with tinycore having used it as a file recovery tool on non-booting systems in the past and even installed it on a HD once.  Anyways here is my problem.

I burnt the 2.11.5 iso onto a cdR and used it to successfully boot into a friend's somewhat newer laptop a few times to recovered some school files after their vista/xp upgrade/downgrade went haywire.  I'd previously received an old dead Toshiba Satellite A60 CJW and figured I would see what was inside with tinycore as well.  On booting I receive the error...

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

...followed by a dead command line.

Googling this lead me to believe it was an error occurring with old computers due to APM ACPI compatibility issues, however flagging them off as best I could did not result in any changes.  The BIOS on the Toshiba is version 1.90 (as best as I can tell the most recent update for the unsupported box) and I also snagged this line off the manufacturers page if it helps at all.

VESA V2.0, DPMS, DDC, SM BIOS V2.3, PCI BIOS Support V2.2

It's not the end of the world if I can't get this booted, and I'm guessing it's just the age of the computer compared to the TC-OS I'm running but I don't have any spare CDrs at the moment to try an older build of tinycore.  Any help though would be appreciated.  The Kernel panic error occurs quite early as well.

Stack:
bunch of 8 digit hexidecimals
Call Trace:
bunch of [<c0######>} 0xc#######
Code: ... ## ... ##
EIP:
---[ end trace ################  ] --
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!
_

Thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Booting 2.11.5 from cd on old Satellite A60
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »
Could point to a faulty memory stick. Can you run memtest on the laptop?

On 2.11.5, try the bootcodes "noapic nolapic acpi=off". Alternatively, try the latest 3.0 alpha.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tina

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
thanks curago,

I tried those boot codes again but still same problem.  Now it seems as though I won't be getting a solution as there is definitely something wrong with the battery charging hardware and I can't even get power on the box with it plugged in anymore :S

Salvage for parts time I think.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »
hi

if you have already decided its for junk/parts.....it could be the charger....some neighbour should have a multimedia and be familar with testing live DC out........if that is good...meaning the charger is good....then you may have a battery type that is so old they get the "memory effect"

if that is true....get some one with a voltage regulator and ....whack it with a volt higher than the specified input but for a short period of time so it does not overcharge and cook.

worth a try if you have nothing to lose.....and I would try this only if you can remove battery pack....meaning
do not have battery insitu and risk frying your other components.

Try at own risk of course.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:15:26 AM »
..some neighbour should have a multimedia

.or even a multimeter  ;)