WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to enable java plugin in Firefox?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Terry

How to enable java plugin in Firefox?
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
Congratulations Roberts and Team on release of 2.9!

I have downloaded Sun's JRE into /usr/local/java and created the symlink to libjavaplugin_oji.so in /usr/local/firefox-official/plugins. Also tried in /usr/local/chromium-browser/plugins. But both browsers report java is not working. Java apps which load outside the browser do run when called by javaws.

Other Linux distro's enable jre plugin this way, is there a difference with TC? Thanks, Terry.

Offline sci_fi

Re: How to enable java plugin in Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
Hi Terry,

I have java6u17 working as follows:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so  is a symlink to

/usr/lib/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so which contains the executable

Both chromium and firefox are working. Also, oo3.2.1

I got the module from the slax site
http://www.slax.org/modules.php?action=detail&id=193

It appears that 6u18 is out but I have not tried to use it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

sci_fi

Offline Terry

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
Thanks sci_fi

I'm not running Slax. Is there a way in tcl to extract this slax module? Or are there dependancies that it provides that are elsewhere in tcl repositories?

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »
Hi Terry,

The slax module is a .lzm file. As part of slax there is a command, lzm2dir, which extracts an lzm to a directory. Probably, there is an equivalent available on other systems, but as I use slax, I have never needed to look for it. I am assuming that .lzm is some relatively standard compression and the requisite tools are generally available.

Regarding dependencies:

I ignored the dependencies mentioned for the module on the slax site. They all seemed to be covered by the collection of extensions that I currently use with TC. So after constructing the java.tcz file, it just worked. It is easy to believe you may be run into to a few dependency issues and need to add a few extensions to your onboot.lst file.

The idea is to extract the existing  java.tcz directory structure from the old java.tcz module. Extract the slax modules into its own directory structure. Copy the slax files into the appropriate directories in the expanded .tcz module. Set up the symlinks as described. Do mksquashfs on the modified directory to create a new .tcz file.

Crude, I know, but it is working for me. The new .tcz file is about 45M. Download it at:

I attempted to post the .tcz file to Rapidshare. Link below. Please let me know if this works for you.

Download Link:   Click here to download file
[^thehatsrule^: removed, extensions policy]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:34:22 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline Terry

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »
Thanks sci_fi

Your *slax.tcz has jre plugin up and running in Chromium and Firefox.

A quick scan of directories and files built by your tcz in /usr/lib appears to match exactly with my original in /usr/local/java that I build with the jre1.6.0_18.bin download from java.com.

Just out of curiosity, I symlinked libjavaplugin_oji.so from your build to firefox-official/plugins and my version to chromium-browser/plugins --- and they both work.

Here's something I just noticed...
we both have exact same files in jre1.6.0_18/lib/*, but yours have exectuable permission and mine do not.

Offline thane

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
<bump>

I'm using Namoroka and want to run a web app that needs Java enabled. Is one of TC's JRE extensions usable for this or should I try something from one of the previous posts? I'm very fuzzy on browser plugins. Thanks.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
me 2 a bit confused about browser plugins once i did compile vlc mozilla plugin but i couldn't manage to load it in firefox but it should be enough to copy or symlink plugin into /usr/local/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 03:22:26 AM »
Hm, I don't see the plugin in the lists of openjdk-*. This doesn't affect Opera though, as it uses java directly, but mozilla browsers at least would need the plugin.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.