Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Issues with TC and VBox - Please help

(1/1)

gastrogeek:
Hi,

Hope this is the best place for such a question. Here's what i've done and the results.

System: Stock Acer Aspire One A0531h-0bk
TC Version: Latest
USB: Integral 4GB

I boot into TC and create a bootable live USB by installing dosfstools and syslinux. I choose to install as hdd and from current system volume (i.e not ISO). I do not enter any boot options.

--- Move over to Acer

Pop it in, boot it up - works fantastically... then

Install Virtual Box (Latest) via appbrowser. Comes up on the wbar, lovely. Seems to work.

Reboot

Starts to boot and then drops out with two lines of this:

Auth: xauth creating new authority file...

And does not really say much else. I am not a Linux guru and have only just started playing with this and really really really want it to work for a project idea I have. So, any ideas?

Much appreciated

GG

maro:
A bit of guess work from my side, but the situation you are describing (i.e. "two lines of: Auth: xauth creating new authority file...") reminds me of a failed 'Xorg' X server start.

The 'Xorg-7.4.tcz' extension is a dependency of 'VBox-OSE.tcz' (and also of 'VBox-OSE-additions-x11.tcz', but since that extension is to be used inside of guests I assume you have not installed it). I guess that somehow your hardware does not "play nicely" with the confless 'Xorg'.

Here are a few ideas that you could try:
(1) If you don't have a command prompt available try to stop the presumably hanging 'Xorg' with "Ctrl-c".
(2) To check whether 'Xorg' has been selected as X server look into '/etc/sysconfig/Xserver'.
(3) You could try if the "vesa" configuration works for you (via sudo cp -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf && startx).
(4) If that does not work and you don't have a suitable '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for your hardware you could try to "force" 'Xorg' out of the way by renaming the executable (via sudo mv /usr/local/bin/Xorg /usr/local/bin/Xorg- && startx). This should force a run of 'xsetup' where you'll need to choose a suitable screen resolution and mouse for 'Xvesa' to work as X server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version