WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Why does the filetool.lst lack the leading "/"?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Why does the filetool.lst lack the leading "/"?
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »
Why does the filetool.lst lack the leading "/"? This seems counter-intuitive to me and still manages to catch me out from time to time. I like to drag and drop files into my list using Beaver but that brings along the leading slash.

Connected to this, when I do slip in the leading "/" into an entry, the procedure fails, with a message about removing the leading slash but then not automatically doing so. Is this how it is intended?

Offline maro

Re: Why does the filetool.lst lack the leading "/"?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
Well the 'tar' command (in '/usr/bin/filetool.sh') to create the backup archive goes something like
    sudo tar -C / -T /opt/.filetool.lst -X /opt/.xfiletool.lst  -czf ...

And the intension is clearly to avoid having any "absolute path" in the archive file. I guess using such an "absolute path" in the white-list (i.e. '/opt/.filetool.lst') or black-list (i.e. '/opt/.filetool.lst') "clashes" with the '-C /' part of the command.

IIRC you might get a different message whether "GNU tar" (i.e. 'tar.tcz') is installed or not. So maybe forcing the use of "Busybox tar" (in '/usr/bin/filetool.sh') could be seen as an option to "tighten" the behavior at least a bit.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Why does the filetool.lst lack the leading "/"?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »
With the recent posts regarding better support for alternate USER, via the user=xyz boot option,  I am making some significant changes to drop home/tc specifics.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.