WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC loosing static IP's  (Read 1589 times)

Offline RedWagon

TC loosing static IP's
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
Below is a clock I made with Tiny Core out of some old laptops at work.  One of the laptops runs a web server with a small php pages to display hours, minutes and seconds.  They are not connected to our network and just have static IP addresses set by running
Code: [Select]
sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.x
The only problem is the laptops keep loosing their IP addresses.  The clock has been running for only three hours now and already two of them have lost their IPs and I had to go back and manually set the IP to get it to work again.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC loosing static IP's
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
Is dhcp disabled (via the nodhcp bootcode)?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline maro

Re: TC loosing static IP's
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
I have no explanation for your reported behavior, and I could not quite work out whether it is the server or one of the clients that had lost it's IP address. I just wonder whether you had considered to use udhcpd on the server and leave the clients on the default DHCP configuration.

I've got to admit I have not tried it myself and would probably need to read a web page like this to work out the config file. But this might be worth a try. If you consider this approach you could run 'udhcpc' and 'udhcpd' with the '-S' option. Obviously in this case you need to run 'sudo syslogd' beforehand (or use the 'syslog' boot code).