I can confirm the finding from jur that galculator
"dies" with a segfault if gnumeric
is installed as well. I did my tests on a "plain" TC 3.0a5 system and considering my findings I can only assume that his second report resulted due to a different set of extensions (but most likely unrelated to the X server).
In principle my test consisted of the following steps:
- I installed 'galculator.tcz' and confirmed that 'galculator' is working. I also took note of the ldconfig -p and ldd $( which galculator ) output.
- I installed 'gnumeric.tcz' and confirmed that 'galculator' is crashing with a segfault. Comparing the respective output showed that several libraries (e.g. 'libxml2.so.2', and 'libglade-2.so.0') had been replaced by different versions installed to '/usr/lib' which were included in 'gnumeric.tcz'.
- I then removed one of the "offenders" (with sudo rm -f /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2* ; sudo ldconfig) and this allowed for 'galculator' to work again.
There are quite a few libraries contained in the '/usr/lib' directory of 'gnumeric.tcz' that are available via distinct library extensions. I spotted 'pcre.tcz', 'ORBit2.tcz', and 'libgpg-error.tcz' as other candidates (but there are probably more) by just eyeballing 'gnumeric.tcz.list'. And there is a fairly good chance that some other incompatibilities will "break" also other extensions. I'd therefore suggest to remove 'gnumeric.tcz' from the 3.x repository until it has been rebuild taking into account the possibly much larger set of available libraries via extensions in the current repository.
Due to this finding I then had a quick look across the .list files of the 3.x repository and saw a few other cases where libraries had been put into '/usr/lib':
- ayttm.tcz contains '/usr/lib/libltdl.so*' which could possibly be removed and replaced via the 'libltdl.tcz' extension.
- inkscapelite.tcz contains '/usr/lib/libpopt.so*' which could possibly be removed and replaced via the 'popt.tcz' extension.
- stardict.tcz contains '/usr/lib/libsigc-2.0.so.0*' which could possibly be removed and replaced via the 'libsigc++.tcz' extension.
- udev-lib.tcz contains files for '/usr/lib' (and '/lib') and I wonder if '/usr/local/lib' would not be the better "place".